• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth more to you if it's from somewhere particular?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...

Do you truly believe that the best artisans only reside in certain places, i.e. Italy / UK / USA? I'll be honest, I do, depending on the item.

The reason I ask.. I'm spending WAY TOO MUCH MONEY at the Saks Final Cut sale today (scored a 450 Brioni that I had been eyeing for 2 months, for 149.. woo) and I decided to get something for my mother's birthday. So, I make my way to the St. John section. Now, for those who aren't familiar, St. John makes mostly conservative business suits / eveningwear. They're a pretty expensive brand.. think like a Brioni / Kiton for women for the sake of brevity. So I'm looking.. and 3/4 of the sh*t (while nice) is made in China and Hong Kong? What the fooking hell? They had some stuff made in the US but I was appalled.

My question.. should I be? The stuff lasts, can be sized up and down (through some process they use), and can be absolutely gorgeous. I have a feeling of EG was made in China, less people would buy it for whatever reason.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's perception, backed by a huge amount of marketing (a lot of which is done directly by the nations themselves, ie Italy,) backed by some degree of reality. In the very top tier of the market (which are basically artisinal goods) there are very few capable makers outside of England, Italy, etc. that are currently producing a world class product. For mass produced items, the advantage is becoming less clear all the time.

Look at the universal notion that "made in italy" = a quality suit. Most of the lower priced Italian made suits are not superior in any way, their only advantage is in the eye of the buyer, who has bought into the marketing.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, but for every Zegna, Brioni and Isaia, there's a crapload of Zanetti, Rizolli and Palasso which is just as bad as the garbage that comes out of China.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I haven't even heard of those 3 brands...
wink.gif

Now granted, I probably don't shop where they're sold but even still.
blush.gif

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most sweaters from Scotland are superior in quality. Most suits/***** from Italy are superior in quality and style. English shoes are generally well made. French leather (sold in the USA) is of high quality. Swiss made clothes are quality garments, and of course their watches are the highest quality. Most suits made in the USA/Canada are of decent quality. USA denim is of a good quality (though Japan is claimed to make the best denim). The few items I have from Japan are of high quality. Yes, every country has poor quality goods that attempt to over charge the customer, but then again look at the amount of Asian goods that claim to be made in Italy and France, for instance.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Thinking about this the other way around, how many people here would be buying Jantzen if they were made in England or Italy?

Probably not as many because they'd inflate the prices ... why? Because they were made in England or Italy.
wink.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to answer the original question, yes. my first racing bicycle was a peugeot made in france. the saddle and components were italian, and the tires were german.

i bragged about my french racing bike for a long time.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
my first racing bicycle was a peugeot made in france. the saddle and components were italian, and the tires were german.

My first racer was also a Peugeot, a midget with a 15" frame, though it came with an Ideale(French) saddle.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Probably not as many because they'd inflate the prices ... why? Because they were made in England or Italy.
wink.gif

Wouldn't that be more by necessity--the cost of labor in England and Italy being significantly higher?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Wouldn't that be more by necessity--the cost of labor in England and Italy being significantly higher?

Quite possibly, yes - but do you truly think that only costs of operation would translate into price increases? In my mind, highly unlikely.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I used to have a prejudice against "Made in China", but over the last couple years I'm not so hatin em. My Jantzen shirts are fantastic, made in China. The new Vox AC-30cc guitar amp is no longer made in England, but made in China, and is imo a superior product to the older Voxes that were UK made. Maybe we'd all be better off if there were no "made in" tags since it's apparent that many of us are prejudiced towards and against certain origins rather than judging the product on its own merits or lack of.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
wink.gif

This is essentially what I was pointing out by asking the question.

And I do think a premium is added above the increased cost of labor/materials.

Then again, you get what you pay for in some sense. I used to buy shirts from a certain maker that farmed labor out to places like Guatemala, Costa Rica, Taipei and similarly diverse locations. I found that the workmanship and sizing were often somewhat inconsistent. I'd be very surprised if you found the same inconsitencies in the better brands made in England or Italy, even if you're paying a premium for the cachet of the "made in" designation.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wink.gif

all things considered equal, its more than that, imo. prices are different because all the inputs in determining the cost is different. if anyone here recalls the big mac index in basic economics, you'd know what i'm talking about:

CFN894.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads