• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it still possible to get deer shoes?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Is deerskin really illegal in EU?

I have a pair of Miu Miu deerskin gloves I bought 2 years ago and last Fall almost all of Prada's men's bags were cervello.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have spoken to him and he does look like a real character....

His prices are higher than Delos and i will be specific about prices...
Antelope as expensive to crocodile?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Antelope as expensive as crocodile?
Yes.
plain.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is he going to Africa to kill the animal himself? How much for a croc?

hchamp

Reaction score
If you're looking for a casual shoe, HS Trask used to make a lot of stuff out of deerskin.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is this vegetal crocodile malaki?

Antelope is looking interesting but ,there is a but, the price appears out of my reach ...If i do have to pay a fortune , i will not do so for antelope...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can use leather from game animals either flesh-side out or grain-side out.

In German the generic name for suede is Game-leather (Wildleder), indicating that originally all suede leathers came from game animals. There is still plenty around (bred in New Zealand) to provide the raw material for those highly treasured, long, embroidered lederhosen (Hirschlederne).

Game leather is also used grain-side out, Italian "˜Cervo' is a rather soft leather with a gentle texture, frequently used for moccasins. Kudu is an African antelope whose leather (grain-side out) is used for it's more flamboyant texture. Here is a pair of (bespoke) Gaziano/Girling monks in Kudu, which were made for forum member TimelessRider.

gg_bespoke_kudumonks_darkbrown.jpg

I don't know about the price, it can't be as expensive as crocodile as Grenson and Alden offer (or have offered) some boots in Kudu, with no added premium. I suppose to get a mirror-match of the texture, there is more waste.

Church's used for decades "˜Genuine Cape Buck' another antelope but this time with a suede texture.

Do you want your game leather shoes in suede or grain leather?

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I remember seeing in GQ like 2 years ago about a company that produced something like 60 pairs of shoes from these reindeer/caribou skins they found stored somewhere.

New & Lingwood, I believe.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New & Lingwood, I believe.
Poulsen Skone/Dunhill also stocked the Russian reindeer shoes in an attractive split-toe derby (demi-chasse). When they were discontinued, the price dropped to an attractive $700. If they actually stocked my size, I would have contemplated a purchase as a collectible.

RE: Deerskin
Moreschi frequently offers a few models in combination calf/deerskin. Deerskin isn't really to my liking, but they are very comfortable.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass also uses antelope, it lists antelope as one of the leathers that's available on page 3 of the catalog but it doesn't shoe any shoes that are made of antelope in the catalog.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A very unattractive skin, not entirely dissimilar to an 80 year old with a lifelong addiction to suntans.
This one?

8518S.jpeg

Leni Riefenstahl, who died aged 101.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She was such a lovely person....The worst with her is far from being her skin...

She would have had some trouble to work in Hollywood nowadays....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads