• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it safe to travel during declared "state of emergency"?

aacodohue

Reaction score

I've been reading a lot about the current protests and incidents of explosive attacks in Bangkok and other parts of the country. I'm a female traveling alone in late may to Bangkok and Phuket, I was wondering if it's safe to make the trip alone? Anyone traveling in Thailand right now that can offer some insights?
Thanks!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd venture a "no"

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one sick looking machete.

Where can I kop?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try the State Department travel website:

The main travel website.

Also, they have issued a travel alert on Thailand, and Bangkok is mentioned explicitly.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I advice using some of that money you have planned for the trip, and go out and buy yourself some COMMON SENSE.

It'll be a better buy in the long-run and will serve you well too.
facepalm.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I adivse finding an overweight, balding white guy to serve as your travel companion.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got back from Bangkok last Sat and was there during the protests. I saw nada of the protest except on TV. They are/were limited to specific locations. Phuket is supposed to be very safe(no main govt offices there.) I would go and just use common sense(leave ur red tops home.) I had a great time and would def go back...especially in May(if I had the time.)

PainZtaking

Reaction score
It will not be fun to travel here in Bangkok at this time, but you will be fine in Phuket.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I adivse finding an overweight, balding white guy to serve as your travel companion.

Or a scrawny stuttering one. Your choice. The overweight guy will be worth more as brawn, but the stuttering guy can at least delay the attackers some.

No intent to cockblock, Rube, just giving her some options.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the Thai protests do not affect foreign tourists. They actually go out of their way to not ruin your experience, actually. That said, it is certainly not as safe as usual.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Generally speaking, the Thai protests do not affect foreign tourists. They actually go out of their way to not ruin your experience, actually. That said, it is certainly not as safe as usual.
Yeah -- actually that guy in the pic is offering straight shaves - it's all the rage right now.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I heard that there was fighting on the koa san road last week. I am not sure I would recomend to a tourist to go to bangkok this week. phucket should be ok, but I would stay away from bangkok.

by the way, yellow shirts also would probrably be a good idea to avoid, too, this week.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I heard that there was fighting on the koa san road last week. I am not sure I would recomend to a tourist to go to bangkok this week. phucket should be ok, but I would stay away from bangkok.

by the way, yellow shirts also would probrably be a good idea to avoid, too, this week.

All the more reason to avoid the shithole that is Khao San Road.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there are other better and safer options for the OP in this region. phuket as a beach destination is so played out anyways.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

i'd agree here, they kind of make city life difficult from what i hear. friend works downtown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads