• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it really worth it to buy expensive shoes?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to derail thread, but what I mean by B&S being "better" = meaning fewer bulk sellers and more high quality merchandise before some of the other secondhand sites popped up.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some members (you know who you are) who have so many shoes that if a pair gets 5 wears a year it means it's their favorite.

Hmmm - I try to make sure all my shoes get a wearing AT LEAST 6 times a year. So by your measure I’m still in the “moderate-by-SF-standards shoe collection” category.

Where’s that G&G catalogue? :lol:

papa kot

Reaction score
To me, buying expensive shoes is worth it for a variety of reasons already mentioned here. Also, because high-quality items preserve the art of craft, and, to a certain degree, our civilization.

During the last decades we have started to degrade to the mean at the unprecedented rates. The population boom and the continuous cycle of demand generation created an economy driven by the low-quality plenty and planned obsolescence. Many goods whose production once required critical thought, skill, and art have been reduced to mindless widgets we are supposed to throw out and not repair. The results of our actions are tremendous.

Behind cheap prices there are significant externalities that we refuse to admit be it quasi-slave labor in the factories of South East Asia or the environmental pollution. We are also losing the collective skill set and knowledge that once enabled artisans and craftsman to make a decent living and have pride in their professions. If we do not support those who can combine form, function, and soul into everyday’s objects, we’ll end up in a world full of mediocre thneeds and with a society that is content with the plenty despite its tax on the future generations--the Idiocracy at its finest. And, yeah, I am not okay with that.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that cheap shoes look like crap very quickly, so it's longevity needs to be measured accordingly. Quality shoes on the other hand will look good for a lot longer even before it's time firm recrafting.

Reactions: Gus

Jared Delaney

Reaction score
1. What is B&S?

2. I made the plunge, or at least what I consider a plunge. I got a new pair of AE Neumok 2.0 the three day and they are quite nice, and I would say it is certainly a step up from what I usually wear, and for not much more money. I also scored a pair of AE MacNeil 2.0 Brown Grain today at Lord & Taylor for a pretty damn good price. They are have some good sales.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B&S= buying & selling section

Boggis

Reaction score
I wonder did Jared end up embracing high quality shoes in the end, or did he stick with what he knows/likes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy nice stuff because you like nice stuff. Don't try and rationalize it with some bogus economic bullshit.

This is still my favourite quote from SF.

haloitsme

Reaction score
my 2 cents to an old thread.
Yes, should you spent 5-10.000€/ shoe definitely not...
Nice Santoni, Sutor for 500-1200€ are ok, Maybe Bontoni on sale.
Bespoke, also ok.

I think it depends on your income when you make 50.000$ per year, should you buy a shoe for 5000$...I don't think so.
If you make 250.000, should you? Maybe
If you make 1.000.000+, why not

Bertrand

Reaction score
my 2 cents to an old thread.
Yes, should you spent 5-10.000€/ shoe definitely not...
Nice Santoni, Sutor for 500-1200€ are ok, Maybe Bontoni on sale.
Bespoke, also ok.

I think it depends on your income when you make 50.000$ per year, should you buy a shoe for 5000$...I don't think so.
If you make 250.000, should you? Maybe
If you make 1.000.000+, why not
Prince Charles and Mike Bloomberg approved this message.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd respect an answer that investing in a AE pair is a big step up from plasticky leather shoes that can ruin an otherwise decent or professional looking outfit, and upgrading from AE is indulgence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads