Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is it Really All Made in the Same Overseas Sweatshops (on-line article)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pawz, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Here's an article I found on-line, about which I'd like the insight/opinion of StyleForum. The items in bold are of key interest to me. The original article may be found here: http://ruralaspirations.wordpress.com/category/consumerism/page/3/

The Article:

A recent headline in our local paper announced that a retail store in a local upscale mall had been raided by police. Apparently they were selling fake designer clothing. As I read this story I wondered if other people were struck by the same thoughts as I had.

First, the idea of paying $300 for a pair of jeans just so you can have Dolce and Gabana displayed across your butt seems ludicrous to me. The fake jeans were, according to the article, “almost indistinguishable from the real thing; you’d have to know what to look for”. Then what, exactly, are people paying the $300 for? I mean, if I can find a pair of jeans that looks the same, feels the same, wears the same and is worth less than a third of the cost – (and we know they’re all made in the same overseas sweatshops) then what is all that extra money for?

Advertising is expensive, right? And yet people willingly turn themselves into walking billboards by displaying logos on their clothing. If you knew it cost a company $5,000 to paint their logo on the side of a car, wouldn’t you feel cheated that you had to pay THEM for the privelege of wearing their logo on your personage?

Ask folks why they wear this stuff and they’ll say they want to appear fashionable, cool, as having good taste. But really, let’s be honest here. It’s a status symbol. Having a Louis Vitton purse apparently screams “I have so much money I can blow $5000 on a purse”. More likely it says “I’m so insecure that I blew $5000 I didn’t really have in order to impress people”.

What I also find interesting is that people willingly seek out designer fakes. It’s huge business all around the developed world. The better the fake, the more people want it. What this says to me is that people aren’t buying the real stuff for any other reason than to impress others and if they can find a good fake that won’t be apparent they are more than happy to don the fake item and save their money.

The headline story read as though a grievous crime had been committed. But I think the joke is on the consumers. AFAIC, anybody who is shallow enough to spend ten times the money on an article of clothing simply because of the name deserves to be fleeced if they can’t even figure out that the fake they bought is fake (after all, if it’s truly an issue of quality then shouldn’t it be obvious? I don’t know much about designers but I can hold a cheap suit next to a Zegna suit and feel right away that there’s a big difference). I also think the people making the fakes should be quietly applauded for revealing the ridiculousness of the whole designer label industry. The fact that good fakes require trained detectives to distinguish them from the real thing and the low cost of making those fakes is a blatant revelation of the fleece job consumers are subjected to by the pricing of these designer items. Those $300 jeans likely cost no more to make than the $150 fakes did (which are already marked up by about 300%).

2. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

:lurk:

A comparison of a $300 jean to a $150 jean doesn't hold much weight in my book. They're both out of range of any mass consumer. I've also NEVER have held a fake and not known it was such, let alone having it be "indistinguishable" from the real deal.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I have a Gucci shirt at home that is an obvious fake. I bought it on holiday in Turkey not realising that over there the counterfeit market rules supreme. It was incredibly difficult to differentiate this shirt with a legitimate Gucci shirt on quality alone. The quality of the fake was almost identical to the real shirt. The only give away for its fakeness was the actual logo itself (way bigger than normal Gucci shirts) and the washing instructions.

As for jeans, it is laughable the markup brands use. I struggle to tell the quality difference between $100+ Levis and Gucci / Dolce etc. Style different sure, but how hard is it to cut a pair of jeans into shape. Fabric and workmanship would be the biggest differentiator between low end and high end, but funny that a $700 pair of Kiton jeans are actually no higher end than Diesel at a fraction of the price.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

4. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Terrible article and I disagree with most of the points.

Let's not have another discussion about price markups again. Seems like someone posts a thread about the price of luxury items once a week.

I bet the writer of the article dresses like shit.

5. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

@MusicGuy: They probably do, yes. If this article is offensive/unnecessary, I will take it down. I don't want to the the center of a commotion.

@Klobber: I found an Armani Collezioni sweater at the Salvation Army not long ago. I couldn't tell whether it was authentic, mostly because it had 'Armani' embroidered on the front (I've never known a Collezioni product to feature an obvious logo). I bought it anyway (there were legitimate Boss Black items there, along with a D&G shirt with its hologram ID tag still inside) and referenced the RN # via the Federal Trade Commission's website and proved it to be authentic. But without that, I'd still be clueless (and I've bought real Armani Collezioni items from Saks, albeit mostly just their microfiber shirts for $200).

I like higher-end clothing, though I confess if you removed the tags, I couldn't tell one designer product from another (though I could tell whether the respective items were 'cheap' or not based on cut, buttons, and [to a point] materials).

6. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

When I was in College, Evisu was a popular brand and of my friends used to buy fake Evisu t-shirts - he claimed that the fakes were better quality then the authentic t-shirts.

I do not agree with a lot of points, but this summed up the article for me
    "I also think the people making the fakes should be quietly applauded for revealing the ridiculousness of the whole designer label industry"
    This is one of the reasons, why brands increase their mark-up.

There are people who wear certain clothing because of the brand; however, some people purchase a certain garment because of the design.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm sure this is true. Many factories in China, e.g. Guangzhou Acme Denim Products Manufactory Co. Ltd, will make whatever they're contracted to make. One month they might be making $400 USD jeans for Evisu, next month it could be $20 jeans for Walmart, and then it could be a contract to make counterfeits for whomever. It keeps the workers paid and the factory owners rich.

TBH I've never seen a 'Collezioni' knock-off, not in China. 'Emporio' and 'Exchange' knock-offs, there's millions of them.

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Yes, it should.
    Otherwise, you're a rube.
    There are many rubes.

9. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

@MikeDT: Collezioni is probably not a priority for counterfeiters because it's not perceived as 'cool' or 'trendy' as Armani's teeny-bopper lines. I once saw the most ludicrous fake Armani shirt. It had 'Emporio Armani' written all over it and the tag said 'Giorgio Armani'. XD Whomever made it didn't know a thing about either label.

@ReEvolving: I think the author of the article is one of those persons who shops primarily for T-shirts and jeans at the mall, hence their perception of quality isn't based on anything substantial (i.e., it's pointless to argue whether a T-shirt or a pair of jeans from Old Navy is superior or no to the same from Abercrombie). One has to be introduced to a higher standard of quality before one can recognize (much less appreciate) it. ...And I'll be the ignorant one - what's a rube?

10. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Why do people get all bent out of shape about the fact that there are expensive things?

Envy.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

There's a lot of it around...
    [​IMG]

Similar with fine Xilinhot garments...
    [​IMG]
    In fact they didn't even have 'Armani' on the tags, just some Chinese brand.

Indeed...
    [​IMG]
    ...complete with the famous charging knight.

BTW the lady who sits opposite me in our office, was wearing a jacket this morning which had an LV buckle and Chanel buttons....Oh we are all happy brand whores at heart. :)

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Ordinary people go through a lot of effort and expense to look wealthy.
    Wealthy people go through a lot of effort and expense to look ordinary.
    Dark-skinned people want to be whiter.
    White-skinned people want to be darker.
    Poor people want to be rich.
    Rich people want to be richer.
    Richer people want power.
    Powerful people want control.
    Controlling people want to kill us all.
    Killers want love.
    Lovers want an audience.
    An audience wants a superstar.
    A superstar wants to be ordinary.
    Return to line 1.

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

In part the article reminds me of people that buy blank CDs for pennies fill them up with pirated music then complain about the cost of a real CD of music. For most things the cost isn't the material it's the design and effort to come up with that design. The people making the fakes are free riding. They don't create anything new. They only risk the cost of the materials. If they make crap they don't get blamed the company being copied often gets the blame.

It's not just clothes. Around here you some times see no name TVs on sale. The brand changes every year or more. When they break and often it's a serious issue you find the company no longer exists. You can't get it fixed. You can't get any warranty coverage. From the outside the things look no different then the stuff from the name brand companies. People like the author buy the no name then complain about all the issues when they happen.

The other point is people have been spoiled by cut rate this cut rate that. $300 jeans only sound expensive because we live in a world that has outsource everything. Imagine how expensive Levi's would be if they were all still made in the US with reasonable wages?

14. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Actually, they apparently want to be orange. Otherwise, brilliant post.

I have a fake Rolex. Actually it's a real Air King with a fake UK market Air King Explorer dial. I love it, but I wear my Sinns more often. Then I heard they're making fake Sinns...

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

yeah, but not because he has to, because he thinks he looks like a GQ model without spending $