1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to wear shorts with a blazer or sportsjacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hendrix23, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

I was out earlier today shopping, and came across a sports jacket (I wasn't looking for one) that I ended up trying on. At the time I was just wearing a polo, shorts, and boat shoes. On one hand I thought it looked good. On the other hand I think you may look odd wearing an article of clothing designed to keep you cool (shorts), and an article of clothing that keeps you warmer (jacket), and I'm not exactly sure where I would wear this combo.

For reference sake, I'm talking about something along these lines.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I suppose I could take a picture of it as well, but I haven't had waist suppression done to the jacket yet (and it needs it).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Perfectly possible - just depends if you look stupid or not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Absoluteky, should you wish to look like a complete COCK....

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Yes. Casual linen (or cotton) navy sports coat over a white OCBD (top two buttons undone) paired with a bright pair of shorts and casual loafers. Casual belt. Everything needs to fit well and it needs to be within the right setting. Did this a few times on Nantucket this year and it worked. The examples posted are ridiculous; db's ad ties with shorts? Looks like these guys got the high low concept before it become trendy, LOL.

8. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

10. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

Yeah, I agree that it has to be the right setting. I just can't think of what that setting would be. I'm thinking maybe a summer night on the patio of a semi- nice-ish bar / restaurant. It would have to be a temperature where it's hot enough for shorts to make sense, but cool enough where you aren't sweating in your jacket. I was thinking a white OCBD, but was even thinking of just using a polo for very casual (I'm aware that this is 'wrong', but if you are already wearing shorts screw it, go full douche imo). And, I agree that the other pictures are not really what I'm talking about. More trad/ivey.

11. Manny De LaCruz

Manny De LaCruz Member

I'd say hell no. Even though I'm a big fan of the "high-low" contrasting look, just doesn't work here.

12. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I would only ever wear shorts at the beach or for sports.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

It's not even high-low for me, it's temperature contrast context.

Hot enough for shorts = too hot for a blazer. I live in Texas with six months of high heat and humidity and gave up wearing shorts several years ago. Don't feel any hotter in linen strides.

I could see a light windbreaker like a Harrington jacket (there's a pic of Paul Newman standing over an oven dressed like this) in case there was a shower at the beach, but not a blazer.

14. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

Basically this is what I tried on at the store (was already wearing polo/shorts/shoes).

[​IMG]

15. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

It is possible. But it is good at the sole condition that you genuinely don't care (i.e. you're not worried enough to ask this on a message board).

16. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

17. Hendrix23

Hendrix23 Active Member

I would say a lot of the time people that look like they don't care, and look good, actually do care. It can take a lot of effort to make things appear effortless.

18. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

No

Polo, shorts, sockless boat shoes with a F/W jacket like that? On another note, the jacket looks awfully short.

19. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

If you are going to a board meeting at the yacht club then it is appropriate wear.
    Otherwise it just makes you look like a retro yuppy tool.

20. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.