• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it Possible to Totally Self Produce Clothes?

tallguy1337

Reaction score
You know, like they did in the old days of America, but of course with the same quality and style, or better?

I know its a bit far fetched, I'm just wondering if its possible to do. (A totally independent business free of other resources)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My aunt is a very talented seamstress and makes her own clothes which look professionally done.

However, it takes years of learning and practice - and even then, you might not have what it takes to hand-make a suit or something complex like that.

tallguy1337

Reaction score
Can you ask your aunt how long it takes her to make a simple button-down shirt?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I have been wondering. So I bought some educational material and I will take the plunge to try making a jacket . . . .
plain.gif

I am pretty sure it will be a disaster, but at least I will know what it takes/involves . . .

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I have been wondering. So I bought some educational material and I will take the plunge to try making a jacket . . . .
plain.gif
I am pretty sure it will be a disaster, but at least I will know what it takes/involves . . .

Good luck. It could be a fun learning experience. Do you have practice with sewing? I have always wanted to try to make an item of clothing, but got discouraged and realized that there must be a good reason that tailors can charge so much for custom clothing.

adamm411

Reaction score
Ha ha, this is a great thread. I actually thought you meant producing your own cotton! Truly starting from scratch.

Aren't there "patterns" or kits available where you simply cut the cloth by tracing a pattern? I think I had to sew some simple item together for a home ec class back in the day. I recall the process taking a long time: buying the right thread, cloth, actually doing the work, etc.

I have a few acquaintances that do their own t shirt printing. I haven't taken the time to actually inquire about how it's done, but I understand it's a pretty simple process. Anyone have experience with that?

Adamm

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tallguy1337
You know, like they did in the old days of America, but of course with the same quality and style, or better?

I know its a bit far fetched, I'm just wondering if its possible to do. (A totally independent business free of other resources)

Yes.

Some of our ties use silk that start with us raising the silk worms, reeling the silk, weaving the silk - all the way through making the tie by hand.

In theory if you live in the America countryside you could do the same with wool if you had a few sheep and make your own sweaters.

It all boils down to patience and practice. You will usually not save money making your own clothes if you factor in your time (learning and making).

So it needs to be a fun project like making a wooden ship model.

adamm411

Reaction score
Of course it's possible. Craftsmen and farmers were doing this for centuries. It depends on whether you want to invest that much time in it.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
By hand or with machinery? You might have low overhead costs if you try to buy some stuff at flea markets for spinning wool or cotton. A loom might be more difficult, knitted sweaters would obviously be MUCH easier to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads