• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQhustler

Reaction score
Been wanting to know this for a while. I have a couple of suit jackets that have fairly wide sleeves and everything else is fine. I would rather just alter the sleeves to make them slimmer than have to buy all new suits. Can this be done without compromising the integrity of the jacket? When looking at my jackets, it seems like it may be very difficult to do without interfering with the armhole, but I am obviously not a tailor.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

jmacak

Reaction score
Hi GQ

You certainly can get the sleeves tapered a bit, that's not too big a deal. But, the tapering will start at the armhole or thereabouts.

If you are concerned about the 'bat wings' that is common with jackets with big armholes, that is another matter indeed. Making the armholes smaller (and higher in the process) will probably require additional material to be added to the bottom of the armhole, I don't think that this is a satisfactory operation and might very well be fairly expensive.

cheers

joe

Originally Posted by GQhustler
Been wanting to know this for a while. I have a couple of suit jackets that have fairly wide sleeves and everything else is fine. I would rather just alter the sleeves to make them slimmer than have to buy all new suits. Can this be done without compromising the integrity of the jacket? When looking at my jackets, it seems like it may be very difficult to do without interfering with the armhole, but I am obviously not a tailor.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once the armhole is cut, it is probably impossible to slim down the sleeves.

Your intuition about the armholes is spot on. The tailor would have to fit the slimmer sleeve in to the larger armhole.

Dib

Reaction score

This can definitely be done. I try to get most of my suits made now, but when I used to buy them RTW I would always get the sleeves tapered.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tapering is one thing. Slimmer sleeves with higher armholes is another.

I'm not sure how I feel about tapered sleeves.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get my suit sleeves tapered quite often. It definitely makes a big difference in a RTW suits appearance, makes it look more bespoke then it actually is. Just make sure the tailor knows what there doing as far as keeping the sleeves balanced and the pitch correct, which can be difficult on this type of alteration.

GQhustler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I wonder if tapering the sleeves would look bad/weird at all if only between 0.5"-0.75" was removed from the circumference? I would think it would be fairly subtle.

The height of the armholes is actually quite nice and fairly high, so I would rather not mess with that anyway. However, I would obviously rather have the sleeves the same width throughout.

jmacak, can I ask how much you paid to have the sleeves tapered and how the end result looked?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The sleeves are tapered on the back seams of the sleeve, not the underside. Tailor starts at the top of the sleeve and takes in the seam all the way to the bottom and remakes the vent. Then he does the same to the sleeve lining. This makes the sleeve trimmer and does not effect or change the armhole. If the sleeve buttonholes are cut you cannot reduce the width of the top sleeve, only the undersleeve.

Armholes can only be made higher on a finished garment by removing the collar, removing the sleeves and opening the shoulder. Cut off cloth across the shoulder on the front and back parts. Remake the shoulder, shorten the collar or lower the gorge if necessary. If the buttonhole on the lapel is cut thru, you cannot lower the gorge. Attach the collar, recut the sleeve to fit into the smaller armhole which may include making the sleeve longer. Sew the sleeves on again. The coat will be shorter by the amount you took off the shoulder but the armhole is higher. It is a full days work and then some depending on the construction of the jacket. Not really worth it IMO.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Just make sure the tailor knows what there doing as far as keeping the sleeves balanced and the pitch correct, which can be difficult on this type of alteration.

There is no need to remove the sleeves to taper them so the sleeve pitch is not effected/changed.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I wonder if tapering the sleeves would look bad/weird at all if only between 0.5"-0.75" was removed from the circumference? I would think it would be fairly subtle.

0.5"-0.75" is all that is needed to trim the sleeve. These amounts make the difference. Sleeve circumference is not large compared to a trouser leg. 3/4" makes a significant change.
After you do this have the tailor make a note of the sleeve width at the opening and elbow and bicep for future reference.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would on expect to pay to have a sleeve slimmed by .5"?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
What would on expect to pay to have a sleeve slimmed by .5"?

If the tailor opens the sleeve where the sleeve meets the back, remakes the vent, you will pay more. If he foregoes these two steps you will pay less. If he works for himself you may pay less, if you go to a shop where the tailor is paying someone else (employee) to do the work, the charge will be higher. Someone inexperienced in jacket construction and does a mediocre job, you want to pay less.

jasonwong

Reaction score
Dead thread but does anyone know what the price range to expect this alteration is?

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was quoted about £25 recently.

Was also interested to find if tapering the sleeve yielded good results without looking off. I have a RTW suit that fits well aside from the sleeves which are a bit roomy mainly towards the cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics