• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is it possible to shorten the rise on dress trousers?

untilted

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
508
Reaction score
2
so i have a pair of corneliani wool flannel trousers, pretty good construction and all. however, i would prefer them better if the rise is shorter. is it possible to shorten the rise?

i can post pictures of the inside construction if its needed to determine if rise can be shortened or not.

thanks.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by untilted
so i have a pair of corneliani wool flannel trousers, pretty good construction and all. however, i would prefer them better if the rise is shorter. is it possible to shorten the rise?

i can post pictures of the inside construction if its needed to determine if rise can be shortened or not.

thanks.


it would have to be recut and remade,which will probably run you into couple hundred.I'd just leave it as is.
 

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
3,819
Reaction score
5
I think you can take the rear rise in a bit, from under the waistband, which makes the seat snugger. Not sure what else could be done that you wouldn't just be better off getting new pants.
 

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
114
the most it can be shortened would be 1". this would be done at the top, the waist band would need to be removed and replaced after the top is shortened. the zip would be shorter at the top by 1". the hip pockets would be 1" higher. the bottom of the legs would need to be lengthened 1". you need to ask your tailor about the price as i have been retired too long.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by a tailor
the most it can be shortened would be 1". this would be done at the top, the waist band would need to be removed and replaced after the top is shortened. the zip would be shorter at the top by 1". the hip pockets would be 1" higher. the bottom of the legs would need to be lengthened 1". you need to ask your tailor about the price as i have been retired too long.

Is it possible to increase the front rise by 0.75-1"?
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,508
Reaction score
1,243
The "correct" way to do it would be to shorten it from the waistband, but I've had plenty of pants tailored including taking in up to 1.5 inches off the front and/or back rise without problems. It requires a competent tailor, eg one who'll tell you when an alteration is a bad idea / won't work. And it didn't require an entire "recut" (expensive).
I've paid (with a good tailor) around $35-40 to have both rises shortened and the legs narrowed by an inch or two
 

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,407
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by forex
it would have to be recut and remade,which will probably run you into couple hundred.I'd just leave it as is.

...

it costs around 30-40 to lower the raise... simple operation too, just lower the waistband.
 

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
114
Originally Posted by forex
Is it possible to increase the front rise by 0.75-1"?

sorry cant make it longer. the front can be deepened a little at the bottom. dont know if that will help you. ask the tailor.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,661
Messages
9,222,014
Members
193,606
Latest member
Redmillion
Top