• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to remove the second button on a dinner jacket?

jwu39

Reaction score
I recently saw a great looking ivory dinner jacket for sale - 50% off - and for all intents and purposes it is perfect (covered buttons, peak lapel, etc), except for one thing. It's a two button suit, which is as we know isn't really desirable in a dinner jacket. So my question is, is it possible to have a tailor remove the second buttonhole?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really cannot see how that could be done without any residual visual impact.
If it’s something you really need, just get it and wear it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t do it. I don’t think you’d be happy with the results.

Mikey#3

Reaction score
i've given this some thought, i have a jacket that may be cooler if it was 1 button. the button comes right off, so that is easy, but you're left with the button hole on the opposite side and that is the problem.

two potential solutions, 1 is to do some kind of link button closure, maybe you just have two lower button holes that become vestigial? or do away with the buttons completely?

second would be to use a smaller button on the lower, and make sure it blends with the jacket. its still two button, but it'll look like one. i have a Navy blazer with these giant round silver buttons, and it would be cooler in a 1 button, but i think a big top button and a small lower button might accomplish a 1 button look.

then again it may not, i haven't actually done anything, but i did have the ideas. and with social distancing people are further away so it matters less :p

jwu39

Reaction score
I really cannot see how that could be done without any residual visual impact.
If it’s something you really need, just get it and wear it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t do it. I don’t think you’d be happy with the results.

If you do, you won't like the results.

It's not something I particularly 'need'. However it is something that I like very much, and if it were 1 button I would be perfectly willing to pay full price to have that piece in my wardrobe. I just personally can't get past the idea of having two buttons on a dinner jacket - it just feels and to my eye looks 'wrong', too casual.

However, seeing the jacket is on sale, I feel that I would be perfectly willing to pay the price for the jacket so long as the alterations required don't 'ruin' the jacket too much. My question is, how much of an effect would a closed buttonhole have on the look of the jacket?

Ideally I would be able to see how a previously altered jacket looks with that same alteration, and make a decision based on that. If it helps, the jacket is an off-white 100% linen weave so if that has a positive or negative effect on how a removed buttonhole would look, I would like to know that too.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You want the help of a Reweaver. They would weave the cut where the buttonhole was. Expect to pay at least $200.00 and probably more.
Light colored worsted cloth will be very difficult to do. You want to find someone very talented to do it.

jwu39

Reaction score
You want the help of a Reweaver. They would weave the cut where the buttonhole was. Expect to pay at least $200.00 and probably more.
Light colored worsted cloth will be very difficult to do. You want to find someone very talented to do it.

That's a shame - I wouldn't even know where to find a reweaver in Australia, and if I did find one it'd probably cost me twice that over here, which ends up being almost three times the cost of the jacket itself :/

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While 2 buttons is not ideal, it doesn't sound like a big issue.

How about buying it and wearing it as is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics