• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to look good buying cheap clothing?

mp1472

Reaction score
holy crap what happened to this thread? ... is it weird that I now want a bunch of crazy vests and a curly beard?

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Jos A Bank gets a lot of heat on this site, mostly justified. But if you can get a good fit out of their dress shirts and get them for about $25 or less, it's a good option. I happen to fit perfectly into the tailored fit shirts and they do just fine at clearance prices.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that link.

I will buy two wool pants in different shades of grey. $225 on sale to $39 is a great price. If possible, I'll buy a third pair of wool pants in taupe which looks like brown and light grey mixed together. Am I correct in assuming wool pants do not require cleaning after each wearing like cotton? How many times can wool pants be worn between dry cleaning?

As for shirts, I will buy 5 to start. I'll buy a two of the Jos A Banks shirts on clearance, and 3 Brook Brothers shirts with light patterns on clearance at Nordstrom Rack.

I will be working in an entry level position in finance.

If I have enough money left over I will buy a sports coat on clearance from Jos A Banks for $79.

What is the opinion on the combination of grey wool pants, light blue dress shirt or a dress shirt with a light checkered pattern, and a grey or blue sports coat?

My advice is to go to your local JABank and try on and make sure the sizes work for you.

However, risk is low since you can return mail order at a local store. .

I think a Navy blazer and a couple of nice ties would be required in a finance job, even if not all the time.

Again, if you can, try to get to a JAB and try it on. An wool slacks shouldn't be cleaned often. when they get dirty yes, but like a wool suit, dry cleaning shortens the life so hang them after every wear and steam or press them as neccessary and they should last long enough for you to get your position established.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad start. You'll want to add more variety sooner rather than later, but this can get you through for a bit. As far as dry cleaning, I'd dry clean one per season at most unless you have some awful stain you have to get out. You may need to press or get your trousers pressed more often so they keep their crease and continue to look neat, but dry cleaning should be a rarity. Just hang them up after each wearing and rotate them so they have time to rest.

Do you have a suit? If not, I think that is a more useful purchase than a sport coat. If so, adding a sport coat in some versatile color isn't a bad choice, though in your position, I'd rather get another pair of pants and another shirt.

I think Mr. Leach provided excellent advice on Sierra Trading Post. I would also point you to the Hart Shafner and Marx ebay store. http://stores.ebay.com/hart-schaffner-marx-store.

They're empty right now, but when they put their clearance items up, Austin Reed suits are $100 and the HSM brand are typically $249. Are they the nicest suits you can possibly buy? no. But they are nice and unless you are an executive, they will present very well to senior executives who will know that HSM is a quality brand, even if the CEO is wearing a bench-made suit.

If there is an off-5th, they cary Canali, Hickey-Freeman and Jack Victor, usually in the $400-$500 range on clearance. But that's your entire initial budget for clothes.

For your birthday and/or Xmas, ask for gift cards!!!!!!

Upward

Reaction score
I think Mr. Leach provided excellent advice on Sierra Trading Post. I would also point you to the Hart Shafner and Marx ebay store. http://stores.ebay.com/hart-schaffner-marx-store.

They're empty right now, but when they put their clearance items up, Austin Reed suits are $100 and the HSM brand are typically $249. Are they the nicest suits you can possibly buy? no. But they are nice and unless you are an executive, they will present very well to senior executives who will know that HSM is a quality brand, even if the CEO is wearing a bench-made suit.

If there is an off-5th, they cary Canali, Hickey-Freeman and Jack Victor, usually in the $400-$500 range on clearance. But that's your entire initial budget for clothes.

There is an off-5th but they never carry anything good. Everything appears to be made specifically for off-5th. I wish I could get Canali at that price range. There was a Canali brown blazer that was marked down from $1499 to $799. I remember seeing Hickey-Freeman but did not know how good they are. They also have Hart Schafner Marx which was the only affordable suit at around $350-$450 range. LOTS and LOTS of Calvin Klien suits and sports coats at $150-$299 which feels better than I expected at that price, better than the Ralph Lauren suits at Macys, but not as good as Jos A Banks which is about $100 more.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YRR92: thanks for injecting some intelligence into this debate.

not every body dresses like Ted Danson.
lol8[1].gif

Aravnel? yeah I've seen his fits.
rotflmao.gif

yesterday was just wearing clothes to get lunch, if you want a fit battle, let me put something nice on.
i have only been helpful to the O.P. so haters put you fit where your keyboard is. show the new guy how to dress.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holy crap what happened to this thread? ... is it weird that I now want a bunch of crazy vests and a curly beard?

Not weird at all, most classic menswear includes both. and there is still a lot of love for taking the time to groom a mustache or beard. also a waistcoat and tie.

shame the O.P didn't take up my offer, got some tame looking ties here that need to go. all "approved brands"

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
Since I'm a poor college student, I can relate when it comes to a limited budget. Anyway, here are my suggestions:

-Anderson Little (A blazer is a must-have in everyone's collection)
-Sierra Trading Post (They regularly have 20-30% discounts online)
-Paul Fredricks (The dress shirts are manageable)
-CT shirts
-Hawes Curtis
-Lands End
-LL Bean Signature
-Jcrew
-Jos A Banks (Not the best quality, but wearable when on a budget)
- The Tie Bar
-Boden
-The Sellers on this site

Happy shopping!

~Zach

Edit: You can also find some surprising items at TJ Maxx and Marshalls sometimes.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YRR92:  thanks for injecting some intelligence into this debate.

lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Aravnel? yeah I've seen his fits.  :rotflmao:

yesterday was just wearing clothes to get lunch, if you want a fit battle, let me put something nice on.
i have only been helpful to the O.P.  so haters put you fit where your keyboard is.  show the new guy how to dress.

I know I personally would love to see more of your outfits. If they are like the mirror shot you posted earlier, then we are in for a treat.

BTW, I believe i have seen some of aravnel's outfits before and thought they were fine. Which ones specifically do you take issue with?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really does. On so, so many levels.

I reminds me of how I used to dress before I knew better. If 38R dressed anything like the runway looks he posted earlier, he might have legitimately been able to criticize conservatism, but this is just random CM clothing worn badly in the mistaken impression that this makes the wearer look like a more interesting person. It doesn't: it makes him look like someone who doesn't know how to dress in either CM or SW&D idioms. But I suspect he's just trolling anyway.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YRR92: thanks for injecting some intelligence into this debate.

lol8[1].gif

Aravnel? yeah I've seen his fits.
rotflmao.gif

i have only been helpful to the O.P. so haters put you fit where your keyboard is. show the new guy how to dress.
lurker[1].gif

Not weird at all, most classic menswear includes both. and there is still a lot of love for taking the time to groom a mustache or beard. also a waistcoat and tie.

shame the O.P didn't take up my offer, got some tame looking ties here that need to go. all "approved brands"
Dude, hook a brotha up!
bounce2.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would personally save up a bit more $ and go for Hickey Freeman. Jack Victor suits...Yeah...
uhoh.gif

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
omg, I really hope 38r keeps posting. I haven't laughed this hard at anyone in years.

what a joke.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to win a Fit Battle on your terms. it would just mean dressing in a more dated fashion. stay tuned.
stirpot.gif

here, i treat you to odd jackets, vests and colored contact lenses.
bounce2.gif

put your Dancing shoes on, oh wait you guys don't dance do you?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads