• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to look good buying cheap clothing?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opps, can't forget this one!
fing02[1].gif

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread =
lurker[1].gif

What I got from the above posts are:

If you want to look decent in an odd vest, you need to be 1. English 2. Balding or on the verge of 3. English male over 40

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think archie was saying vests are a bad choice in general...just something which should be a very low priority if cost is an issue.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This thread =
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
What I got from the above posts are: If you want to look decent in an odd vest, you need to be 1. English 2. Balding or on the verge of 3. English male over 40
Agreed...

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
barrelntrigger, you seem to have missed that (1) we're talking about someone who is just starting to build a wardrobe and (2) who is not wearing a jacket most days. Your posts show some advanced looks and nearly every photo involves someone wearing a jacket. I'm not taking the position that odd vests cannot look good; simply that one should not be buying them and your post does nothing to refute this point.

we are here to accept and encourage others as they grow in their own style. The O.P will hopefully wear clothes with confidence. and benefit from it in his daily life.

pretentious conservatives lacking taste or individuality ruin the fun for others.    

Not everyone who disagrees with your approach is a pretentious conservative. Developing one's own style is fine but there are also rules of classic menswear that one should learn. How much one follows said rules is ultimately up to each individual to decide, but breaking rules is an informed decision one should make. This forum has long existed in part to teach these rules and basic principles of classic menswear to people and has long served as an educational platform and not simply some feel good support group.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread =
lurker[1].gif

What I got from the above posts are:

If you want to look decent in an odd vest, you need to be 1. English 2. Balding or on the verge of 3. English male over 40

Really? Even these guys?

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
We're talking about building a basic wardrobe for a work.

Not modeling, or dressing up for photo shoots, or being owners of a menswear store where they've been building a wardrobe since OP was back in high school.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're talking about building a basic wardrobe for a work.

Not modeling, or dressing up for photo shoots, or being owners of a menswear store where they've been building a wardrobe since OP was back in high school.

+1. This. Seriously.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have no idea whether or not 38R is trolling or not.

but if he's not, I think an "Odd Vest Appreciation Thread" might be more at home in the SW&D subforum than the MC. Well, at least if the focus is on vests worn without a jacket. And certainly with the examples he just posted.

I've got nothing against a vest without a jacket...it's just not MC. If people were doing it well, I'd probably regularly go and visit an odd vest appreciation thread to admire fits, just as I do in the SW&D WAYWT thread.

EDIT: Are those drop crotch britches!?!

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to in a pinch with about $400.

5 shirts from Lands End. < $25 each. < $125

5 pairs of pants from Lands End. < $25 each. < $125

5 ties from eBay. $7 each. $35

2 pair of shoes eBay. $50 each. $100

1 sport coat eBay. $50

Total < $435.

Done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads