1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to look good buying cheap clothing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Upward, Jul 16, 2013.

1. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Don't seem to have many options for semi-spread collar - extra slim fit
    mostly $59 =(

Btw does, TM Lewin have semi-spread collar shirts? Can't seem to find any on their site

I'm also looking for my first batch of dress shirts about 5 in a mix of solid and stripes
    Looking at CT, TM lewin, Land Ends, or Brook Brothers - not sure which ones are good..I'm also a fairly skinny guy 5'8 135-138lbs

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

What do you mean by semi-spread? They have a semi-cutaway which is a pretty wide spread with more limited selections. Their standard classic collar is a decent semi-spread IMO. In any event, the UK website has only 4 extra slim fit shirts over 30 Pounds (around $47 or so) and the vast majority are 25 Pounds ($38 or so) or under, with some below 20 Pounds ($31 or so).

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:I agree - the standard collars for both CT and TM Lewin both have decent spreads. For me anyway, the collar points end up under the jacket lapels.

4. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Which would be better to be wore with tie and without ties
    Classic, cutaway, or semi-cutaway?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. archibaldleach

Classic. The wider the spread, the more the shirt begs to be worn with a tie.

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Re: TM Lewin:

How's their slim fit? I'm looking for something slimmer than BB slim. BB ESF works well for me, and Tyrwhitt's "tailored fit" (renamed slim, I think) is acceptable.

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

TM Lewin is somewhere between CT slim and extra. For me it is just right. I like that the chest is comparable to CT slim while the waist approaches CT extra slim.

If you want something very slim, try TM Lewin's fully fitted. I couldn't even button the one I tried, and I can wear a CT extra slim in the same neck size.

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks. I assumed "fully-fitted" meant "full-fitting"/generous/not for me, with 15.5 neck on a 36R torso.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Colors and patterns are needed, but if it's just a mix of a few mediocre brands, people will notice, some in a bad way. Include a few higher-priced shirts and pants, and the result will be better.

10. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Bear this in mind, at work you are trying to impress at your new job. so give yourself the most matching options possible, so that each item you add to your wardrobe will increase your number of combinations. at least buy 3-4 odd vests/waistcoats, put together skillfully with a contrasting set of pants,shoes, tie and shirt. also, see a barber at least once a month,to keep your edges sharp, you will be recognized for your presentation so you only need worry about your work performance. [​IMG]

Brands? sf approved? we will welcome you in the thrift store bragging thread, half of these guys dominate style. and get more style for their dollars, which it sounds like you might be in need of to get started. and maybe continue with. good luck.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do not buy odd vests. Wearing a vest without a jacket in the context of classic menswear and workwear is a bad idea. Maybe it works in some streetwear context, but not here.

1 person likes this.
  12. archibaldleach

+1. Not to mention that buying odd vests seems like a foolish use of cash when cost is an issue an OP is trying to expand his wardrobe.

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

+1 to this

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

It depends what your definition of 'cheap' is.

Brands Suit Supply, Tie Bar and AE offer a lot of bang for buck IMO. If you stuck to the basics to give yourself some wardrobe flexibility you wouldnt be putting yourself out by much.

15. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

oh really? here are some examples to hate on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let the hate begin!!! [​IMG]

Good waistcoats can be had cheap, from thrifts or the 'bay. and they dramatically increase your options, especially in the warmer seasons. either with a 3-piece suit or by themselves. there is always a stylish fit to create .for the price of a SF "approved shirt", you could really look awesome. make your own choices. live it up, dress to impress. have fun in your new job. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1

17. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

18. archibaldleach

Right, because OP is looking to be "weird vest guy" in his job. Give me a break. Vests are completely non-essential and one can be well dressed without owning a single one, so buying a vest makes no sense for someone who is cash constrained. This isn't about hating on your examples, even though some are pretty bad, but is about basic common sense budgeting. A basic trouser and shirt wardrobe is far more important than adding a vest. I'm amazed that this is even being debated.

2 people like this.
  19. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

This is a weird debate to be having, people can offer different opinions, who knows, the O.P might just be a good looking guy.
    and on a warm day, a waistcoat can take the place of a jacket, so you don't look like you left it somewhere. [​IMG]
    because having your tie loose looks really professional. -LMFAO.

and budget? i suggested getting into the thrift store bragging thread, as the great guys in there would be glad to help him out for way less than buying new stuff like new t.m lewin shirts.
    you are telling him he needs $$$$$$ worth of "approved brands" . and i am saying "save money,buy more, add later. give yourself options." also congrats on a new job,and good luck.

see fits by Seajen, gmmcl,spoopoker, and orgetorix. to see just how stylish a man can be.-there are others. but they own it. they mix and match. and none of them would be "The weird guy".
    i have the ultimate respect for how they represent themselves. and for a new guy like the O.P. they are great leads to take inspiration from.

myself? i wear what i want, anywhere. i have confidence in my own style. and do not water it down for fear of standing out. so, a 3-peice suit with sneakers? anytime. and a pocket square/tie to match my shoes? of course[​IMG].- deal with it.

this is styleforum. where people have style, if you want to frown on people for dressing in their own interesting ways join a "boring clothes forum" .

20. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I agree most emphatically with this. I consider myself reasonably well dressed and am certainly regarded as such by friends, neighbors, family and even strangers. I do not own a single vest, nor have I any plans to acquire one.

Any guy who starts out routinely wearing a vest in a casual or dressy casual office is most definitely going to be characterized as the "weird vest guy." Vests are okay for a very casual, sort of cowboy-ish look and with three piece suits for those who fancy them. At least, so it seems to me. For that matter, I don't much like three-piece suits, although if I lived in colder climate, I might feel differently.

1 person likes this.