1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to go without shorts for the summer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I don't wear shorts... ever!

You're doing the right thing.

2. Keta

Keta New Member

I just cant bring myself to wear shorts... not even in the Australian summer.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have not worn shorts since I was about 7.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Just wear shorts - there is no earthly reason why not.

5. Booter

Booter Senior member

6. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

I'm in San Antonio and I don't wear shorts unless I'm exercising or at the beach. If I can do it certainly the OP can get through his "very hot" Toronto summer in linen and chinos.

7. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

For work absolutely not unless it's Bermuda or you work in a sweat shop etc...

For events around town or your own leisure WEAR the shorts. Too bloody hot.

8. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Update on the white levis. Got too close to the paint luge slip and slide thingy at the music festival and have dark purple paint splashes on the legs. Washed with 'shout' to no avail. Now steeping in hot water and bleach but it's not looking good. If I leave them overnight they will be so riddled with bleach they will probably rot off my legs in the next wearing. Any bright ideas much appreciated. This never would have been a problem if I'd work shorts. I'm rethinking my summer strategy.

Did you try paint thinner/turpentine yet?

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Toronto the problem isn't the heat it's the humidity. You need something baggy that breathes.

10. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Haven't worn shorts in Southwestern Ontario since I was kid. You can handle it.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

yes, it is possible to go without shorts for the summer but it is depend on you .are you comfortable in jeans daily.

I personally hate jeans because they're not comfortable at all especially in the summer...

I prefer linen or cotton...

In the right environment, cargo shorts or bermudas are absolutely fine...

12. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Depends on the khakis. Just get lighter weight ones. Something like the milano washed khakis at Brooks Brothers. You can see them at the RBC Centre. And of course linen shirts.

The thing with Toronto is that it's less consistently hot than some other places but it's prone to heatwaves and humid spells. It makes dressing a challenge.

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Did you try paint thinner/turpentine yet?

I read this and thought 'brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?'
    Gave it a try and unfortunately it didn't work, (even though I thought the paint was just water paint) but thanks for the tip.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

As temps climb and mosquitos bite more voraciously, I usually go from shorts to long pants in linen or very light-weight cotton; long sleeve linen shirts, too. I'm actually more comfortable in that, in fact with temps approaching 100 tomorrow, it's likely to be what I'll wear after work.

15. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

^ I like your style, JayJay.

16. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

so let me get this right.

Lets say you clowns were going to a baseball game, in the middle of July, 92 degree day, 65% humidity, no cloud cover. You sit third row from the field, and are going to sit there for 3 hours in the sun in a pair of pants?

Are you all crazy?

17. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I usually don't frequent baseball games. But I'd imagine that a lightweight cotton or linen pant would work just fine. Just don't do pinstripes. Do you honestly believe that the little bit of exposure shorts give your legs have that much of a difference in your comfortability? If so, how do you know for sure? I'd like some randomized control studies done on this phenomenon.

18. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

19. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I usually don't frequent baseball games. But I'd imagine that a lightweight cotton or linen pant would work just fine. Just don't do pinstripes.

Do you honestly believe that the little bit of exposure shorts give your legs have that much of a difference in your comfortability? If so, how do you know for sure?

I'd like some randomized control studies done on this phenomenon.

exposure...no

airflow....absofuckinglutely

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

so let me get this right. Lets say you clowns were going to a baseball game, in the middle of July, 92 degree day, 65% humidity, no cloud cover. You sit third row from the field, and are going to sit there for 3 hours in the sun in a pair of pants? Are you all crazy?
    Yes, in linen or light-weight cotton. For prolonged periods in the sun, I need protection from its harmful rays.