• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to get jeans tailored?

vincent

Reaction score
Hey,

I really want to remove the bootcut on two of my PD&Cs. I want them to be straight leg.

Do most tailors perform such a task or is it more specialized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent
Hey,

I really want to remove the bootcut on two of my PD&Cs. I want them to be straight leg.

Do most tailors perform such a task or is it more specialized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Yes, jeans are nothing more than dark cotton trousers and can be tailored like any pant. The challenge is getting the detailing/seams to match the original. I'm having it done right now by chris despos. I'm having him put at 15.5 inches opening.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
You should consider how much the jeans cost first. I wouldn't tailor anything less than $100.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be silly. Altering the lower leg cut is trivial and should cost marginally more than hemming.

drake

Reaction score
Don't bootcuts narrow at the knee? I don't think you can ever get a true straight leg out of a bootcut without a really narrow leg, I think what's more resonable (to preserve the balance of the jeans) is to make the bootcut less pronounced, which can be easily done.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think some small adjustments would be ok to do, but it is better to just buy the kind of jeans that fit you the best. When you get into reconstructing pants they can sometimes come out looking kind of goofy. If your bootcut jeans start getting wider from the knee they will probably have to be cut open almost to the seam in the rise. It is not that much money but to me it is more trouble and money than it is worth, just get new jeans.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I've never had good jeans tailored(my grandma hemmed pants for me when i was little, but i don't know if her sewing skills are as sharp anymore). How much would hemming or taking in a boot cut a bit cost? I'm asking because while i liked the fit of the nudie ralph, i like the way Saucemaster's tailored pair fit better than the ones i see displayed in online stores.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on what tailor you go to. You could walk into one place and pay a price go right across the street to another and the price will be double. I am not sure if there is a difference depending on the material, but I had some of the leg taken in on 4 pairs of suit pants and that cost me $72 which I thought was cheap. So try figuring it will be around 15-20 bucks?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I've never had good jeans tailored(my grandma hemmed pants for me when i was little, but i don't know if her sewing skills are as sharp anymore). How much would hemming or taking in a boot cut a bit cost? I'm asking because while i liked the fit of the nudie ralph, i like the way Saucemaster's tailored pair fit better than the ones i see displayed in online stores.

Why not just buy svens then because that's more or less what they are anyways?

presidentofvice

Reaction score
in my experience, trailing boot cut to straight leg is a mixed bag. i've paid about 20 bucks for it and i have to say its never really worked out. always seems a little off...

kever

Reaction score
I just did this actually. I had my built by wendy Wranglers taken in from a 10.5" opening at the bottom, to 9". I had them go from the narrowest point of the knee and make the pants straight from that point down. They too the bootcut off from both seams, and matched them well with the old ones. Mine turned out really well, and I paid about $21 canadian. Considering I got the jeans for $9 on ebay, I figured it was worth trying. I'd post pics for you, but the girlfriend has my camera in Japan. sorry..

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I personally think it'd be better just to buy a new pair of jeans. Shouldn't waste time and effort just to see it that it might turn out marsupialed. Besides, it's nice to have a variety of fits in your wardrobe.

Max

Reaction score
Yes, it might look stupid. But throwing down 20 bucks on altering the pair you already own with the chance that they might come out looking good is a better bet than just saying "*******" and buying a new pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads