• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to get Custom colour for formal shirts and where to get it ?

Farhanc

Reaction score
Hello my question is it possible to get Custom colours for formal shirts ?

Similarly to purchasing a tin of paint where you go to a DIY shop, and they can make any paint colour you want.

As I am wondering if picked one colour for the collar and cuff and another colour for the other parts? If you can? Where can you get it and roughly the cost ? In the UK if possible.

Yours

Farhan

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically you’re asking a textile manufacturer to create a custom-dyed fabric run. Actually two. Fabric is dyed in many ways—at yarn stage, at thread stage, by dying the finished cloth and sometimes by dying the finished garment. None of these techniques is feasible for a single shirt from a manufacturer. But you could conceivably dye your own fabric and get a bespoke shirt made. Dying is not easy BTW.

Browse through fabric colors on the Proper Cloth website; you can also request swatches. Then order a shirt that’s close to what you want. You can order white contrasting cuffs and collars but not any other color. They also offer collar and cuff accents (the inside part) in any fabric you like.

Last edited:

Farhanc

Reaction score
So if I were to find try to get material in a custom colour? What material and what quantity for a size 16/16.5 shirt ?

Then how would I then get the shirt made and at what cost roughly and where ,etc?

Any other relevant advice great fully received.

yours

Farhan

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Yes.

If you don't like the stock fabrics at any given custom maker -- some custom makers have thousands of options -- you can find your own fabric, contact a custom maker who does this, and set it up.

What did you have in mind? Is there a specific color you want? What kind of budget?

Farhanc

Reaction score
Hello I was thinking this shade of green for the main part
1632251805020.png

For the collar and cuff sections white or light pale cream colour .

I have no idea what the cost would be but as low as possible .

Yours

Farhan

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quality garments are either garment dyed, dyed in the yarn, or the fabric has been dyed before being made into a garment. Such processes are expensive and require quanities. The minimum required depends on the mill, but often starts at 60 meters. It requires 1.5 meters to make a typical shirt -- far below what you would need for a custom fabric run.

If you have a custom shirtmaker, they should be able to use available fabrics.

If you live in the United States, I don't recommend getting a green shirt with pale cream cuffs and collar.

Farhanc

Reaction score
Quality garments are either garment dyed, dyed in the yarn, or the fabric has been dyed before being made into a garment. Such processes are expensive and require quanities. The minimum required depends on the mill, but often starts at 60 meters. It requires 1.5 meters to make a typical shirt -- far below what you would need for a custom fabric run.

If you have a custom shirtmaker, they should be able to use available fabrics.

If you live in the United States, I don't recommend getting a green shirt with pale cream cuffs and collar.
Hello dieworkwear What colour would recommend for collars and cuff?

Yours

Farhan

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello dieworkwear What colour would recommend for collars and cuff?

Yours

Farhan

In the United States, you usually want the shirt's body, cuffs, and collar to be made in the same fabric. I can't speak to countries outside of Western Europe and North America, but this is the norm in those places. Contrasting cuffs and collars aren't considered tasteful here. They are also somewhat dated in a 1980s way.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Style-wise... I agree with Derek, I'm really not a fan of contrasting collars and cuffs, they're pretty gimmicky. Green button ups are also very hard to wear -- maybe a subtle green pattern, maybe green corduroy or something like that, but definitely not the shade you shared.

A plain white dress shirt is never really a bad thing. A cream / off-white can definitely be great, too.

As for greens... I'd start off looking at Spier and Mackay. Their green rugger check and green "chambray" seem pretty decent to me, although they might be hard to pair with a tie. With a referral code, they both get to around $72, which is cheap for aa custom shirt.

I would focus on fabrics that brands already have available. They tend to know what they're doing when they pick them. You could go looking through your favorite mill's books, but I don't think you're quite ready yet.

In the United States, you usually want the shirt's body, cuffs, and collar to be made in the same fabric. I can't speak to countries outside of Western Europe and North America, but this is the norm in those places. Contrasting cuffs and collars aren't considered tasteful here. They are also somewhat dated in a 1980s way.

Specifically, white contrast on blue is percieved as a reference to Gordon Gecko, and almost feels like cosplay here.

Contrast collars are in part rooted in the history of the detachable shirt collar, which is at least a partly American thing. I don't think they're popular in many places abroad.

Farhanc

Reaction score
Hello what about custom digital fabric printing ? What are the thoughts on this process.

Then what would the cost be roughly to make a shirt?

Also, where to send the fabric to?

Yours

Farhan

Farhanc

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering if anyone has any more thoughts on my shirt question ? Is it worth using digital printing, or is it a faux pas to use digital printing on fabric if you want a shirt?

Also, just wondering what the cost could be on a shirt, roughly in £.

Yours

Farhan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads