• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to find an Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Wingtip

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm pretty new here, but I've done pretty well over the last few months with shoes. I came across Gherkin's Alden wingtip in the "shoes with character" thread, and have become obsessed. I know the whiskey color is/was rare, but does anyone have any idea where to look for such a shoe.

I've done a lot of searches in the usual places on line, but have come up with nothing. Any ideas?

I'm a 13D if that helps.

img2154ie1.jpg
[/quote]

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Contact one of the main Alden shops. You will probably have to wait for a long time.

JO3B

Reaction score
not a long wing, nor alden, but what about the darlton from polo?

still just as hefty a shoe, possibly nicer.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darlton is IMO impeccable,
but the OP wants a whisky shell I believe?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to go for those with the full wing tip accentuating the large sole. A bit clunky in my oppinion. But to each his own

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen a bunch of nice long-wing shoes in cordovan, but I really (REALLY!!) like that whiskey color. I'll get in touch with Rider and Alden to see what I can do. The longer the wait, the longer I can save up to pay for them.

laugh.gif

Cornellian

Reaction score

CBtoNYC

Reaction score
I've searched and found threads about the general shortage in cordovan.

But why are the colors other than black and #8 (i.e., whiskey, cigar, ravello, etc.) *especially* unavailable? Clearly there is demand for them.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBtoNYC
But why are the colors other than black and #8 (i.e., whiskey, cigar, ravello, etc.) *especially* unavailable? Clearly there is demand for them.
There are less hides available that are clean enough for those lighter colors.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBtoNYC
I've searched and found threads about the general shortage in cordovan.

Define demand. In the world of the general public there's not really significant demand for "shell cordovan" let alone more esoteric colors. Sure- there is a very, very niche element but I wouldn't say that's a lot of demand.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JO3B
not a long wing, nor alden, but what about the darlton from polo? still just as hefty a shoe, possibly nicer.
IMO, althought the Darlton wingtip is a bit sleeker than the Alden longwing, the Whiskey color is unbeatable. I have both, but have worn my Darlton's only once in the last year, compared to wearing my Whiskey longwings several times throughout the summer.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
IMO, althought the Darlton wingtip is a bit sleeker than the Alden longwing, the Whiskey color is unbeatable. I have both, but have worn my Darlton's only once in the last year, compared to wearing my Whiskey longwings several times throughout the summer.

Haha, I like how SF (including me) considers wearing a shoe several times in one summer "high use".

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I presume "˜gherkin's' shoes were supplied from Adam Knox at
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/

just like the pair I have.

That Longwing shoe in whiskey shell cordovan is one of the original 'Fan shoes'; that's the name Adam uses for the shop's special orders: shoe in specifications that are not Alden's stock items but are made up for particular retailers at their request. Alden/Carmel carried that particular shoe for quite a few years, but have stopped it recently. That probably has something to do with the shortage of whiskey shell cordovan.

You might want to contact Alden/Carmel, maybe they can help you.

Alternatively, if it's the colour whiskey that you like, check out Citishoes, they offer the "˜Leisure Handsewn Moccasin' in that colour.
http://www.citishoes.com/pg16.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics