Is it possible to find a midnight blue tuxedo on a budget?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sherwin, Apr 14, 2011.

1. sherwin

sherwin Senior member

Hi everyone,

My wedding is coming up in September and I would love a midnight blue tux. I'm having trouble finding any at all. It would also have to be affordable. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I wouldn't mind a foreign tailor.

Thanks!

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

What do you define as affordable?

3. sherwin

sherwin Senior member

What do you define as affordable?
    < $1,000 I'm a student [​IMG]

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Gieves and Hawkes.

5. sherwin

sherwin Senior member

Gieves and Hawkes.
    Thank you. They do have one item which is in my range but happens to be "Navy." Is this going to be significantly different than midnight blue, or do they just call it navy? Link: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/...nner-suit.html I'm going to call them about MTM tomorrow (closed right now). I appreciate the lead!

6. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Your not going to get MTM from Gieves for &lt;$1000

7. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

Thank you. They do have one item which is in my range but happens to be "Navy." Is this going to be significantly different than midnight blue, or do they just call it navy? Link: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/...nner-suit.html

I'm going to call them about MTM tomorrow (closed right now). I appreciate the lead!

The color navy can mean different shades. Here's the authority:

See

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...ic_Tuxedos.htm

There's a picture showing the difference (in artificial lighting) black & midnight blue side by side. Notice the subtle difference between midnight blue and black; (and that's in harsh lighting). The Gieves jacket though, with its black lapels, makes the other 'navy' fabric look brighter to me than midnight blue. So I say no, it's not midnight blue.

[​IMG]

8. sherwin

sherwin Senior member

Your not going to get MTM from Gieves for <$1000
    You're right, their site said two-piece half-canvas MTM from 1,000 pounds; I was still thinking dollars.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Midnight blue dinner suits are overrated, and that's coming from someone who owns one. I like it because it looks better during the early hours of the evening before it's truly dark, but that really ought to be of a marginal concern when on a tight budget. On the other hand, the old argument that midnight blue looks blacker than black isn't so valid anymore. These days, it's perfectly possible to find a black dinner suit that will look pretty damned black.

Do yourself a favor: at $1,000 for a dinner suit, concentrate on fit, style and quality. It's hard enough nailing those things at any price-level.

10. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

^^Agreed. And I'm guessing that if they're making a tux in &quot;navy&quot; blue it's mostly likely going to be as dark as midnight blue. Just a guess.

11. Alex C

Alex C Senior member

One of the Chinese MTM folks will do it for you. I think Indochino does, but that's a whole different ball of wax.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think member eddieveddr10 has a Cucinelli blue tux in his FS thread right now.

13. Viral

Viral Senior member

Member &quot;shopdesigner&quot; had a few Dolce &amp; Gabanna mainline tuxes for 80% off retail..........the navy tux was stunning!

You should see if he has any left.

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Midnight blue dinner suits are overrated, and that's coming from someone who owns one. I like it because it looks better during the early hours of the evening before it's truly dark, but that really ought to be of a marginal concern when on a tight budget. On the other hand, the old argument that midnight blue looks blacker than black isn't so valid anymore. These days, it's perfectly possible to find a black dinner suit that will look pretty damned black.

Do yourself a favor: at $1,000 for a dinner suit, concentrate on fit, style and quality. It's hard enough nailing those things at any price-level.

I agree with the basic lesson, but midnight is not overrated. It's awesome.