• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to change buckles on watch straps?

VictorC

Reaction score
Ive got a leather watch strap but i dont like the buckle on it as it is too big. Does anyone know if it is possible to get someone to put a different buckle on it, or is it a case of once a buckle is on a strap it cant be changed type thing?

fss

Reaction score
Yes it's possible. You just need to keep the size (width) of the strap and buckle in mind when changing it for another one. Any jeweller or watchshop should be able to do so, I think you can also do it yourself.

VictorC

Reaction score
^^^
Thank you. Very reassuring to know. I will now venture to my nearest jewellers, probably h samuels and see what they can do.
I hope they got a nice wide selection.

VictorC

Reaction score
But i was worried because my watch isnt the pin bridge type buckle. It is like a big screw type one that keeps the buckle in place and i cant see how i can prise it apart really.

fss

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of that buckle?

VictorC

Reaction score
Its similar to this one,
http://cuffwatches.net/lecuwacl.html

I know its an ugly watch and strap to most people. This isnt my watch but the big ass buckle looks identical size wise. Just too big and punk rockerish. I need something more subtle like you get on dress watches.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
Its similar to this one,
http://cuffwatches.net/lecuwacl.html

I know its an ugly watch and strap to most people. This isnt my watch but the big ass buckle looks identical size wise. Just too big and punk rockerish. I need something more subtle like you get on dress watches.

If you're wearing something like that and are thinking that it's the buckle that makes it look too punk rocker...
eh.gif

Talk to a jeweler. They very well may have something in stock. You're probably better off going to a local guy then one of those giant chains.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
If you're wearing something like that and are thinking that it's the buckle that makes it look too punk rocker...
eh.gif

Talk to a jeweler. They very well may have something in stock. You're probably better off going to a local guy then one of those giant chains.

There arent any local jewellers iin my immediate neighbourhood and that is why im thinking of those shopping centres that have i will have a chance of finding something whether its a big chain shop like H samuels, or anything.

Wideknot

Reaction score
Let me get this straight . . . are you saying that your watch is a cuff watch similar to the one you linked? With the cuff style band that is wider than the watch? If so, your best bet to get away from the "punk rocker" look is to replace the entire band, not just the buckle.

If you're saying that your watch is not a cuff style, but the band has an overly large buckle, then yes, you can replace the buckle. If it is a typical buckle, it is connected to the band with spring bars indentical to the ones holding the watch itself to the band. If it is one of the more secure types using screws, then you simply use a jewelers screw driver to remove the screws and disassemble the buckle. Replacement buckles are available all sorts of places but I would suggest Ofrei http://www.ofrei.com. If you change the buckle out, make sure you measure the band's width at the buckle because it is usually 2mm smaller than the band.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
If you're saying that your watch is not a cuff style, but the band has an overly large buckle, then yes, you can replace the buckle. If it is a typical buckle, it is connected to the band with spring bars indentical to the ones holding the watch itself to the band. If it is one of the more secure types using screws, then you simply use a jewelers screw driver to remove the screws and disassemble the buckle. Replacement buckles are available all sorts of places but I would suggest Ofrei http://www.ofrei.com. If you change the buckle out, make sure you measure the band's width at the buckle because it is usually 2mm smaller than the band.

Thanks, i went to a jeweller and he said because there is no pin bridge he couldnt do nothing about my watch but reccomended i got to leather belt shop or somehting which left me a bit confused. He said its not impossible to do, but seemed to make it seemed like it would be hard.

Its certainly not your typical screw whereby i could just use my screwdriver at home thats for sure. But i will ask around shopping centre and possibly still h samuel for suggestions. Thanks again widenot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads