• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to alter french cuffs to regular button cuffs?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've had it done several times. Any competant tailor or alterations person will do it.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and vice versa. Should cost you no more than $20 (cost of labor), if that.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Yes, and vice versa. Should cost you no more than $20 (cost of labor), if that.

How could you go from a barrel cuff to a french cuff? You'd need to add material. If you had more of the material, you could remove the whole cuff and sew a new one on, but for an OTR shirt, your chances of having extra material are nil.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand what you mean. Why would you need extra material? The tailor will remove or reposition the button, and make whatever other small tweaks are required.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I am not sure I understand what you mean. Why would you need extra material? The tailor will remove or reposition the button, and make whatever other small tweaks are required.

Well, a French cuff is a double cuff, aka turnback cuff, where the cuff is twice as long as usual and folded back over before the links are put in.

I assumed the OP was suggesting regular "single" button cuffs, which do not turn back or fold back.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I just have one more alteration question: how much does it normally cost to have a shirt tapered? Thanks again!

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
???

If you have the regular cuff, of course.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Well, a French cuff is a double cuff, aka turnback cuff, where the cuff is twice as long as usual and folded back over before the links are put in.

I assumed the OP was suggesting regular "single" button cuffs, which do not turn back or fold back.

I gotcha. I meant a barrel cuff into a single French cuff shirt.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I just have one more alteration question: how much does it normally cost to have a shirt tapered? Thanks again!

I usually pay between $10 and $15.

stuarts8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Yes. I've had it done several times. Any competant tailor or alterations person will do it.
how do they in fact do this? Do they remove the double cuffs and put single cuffs on or add a button to the double cuffs? Cheers Stuarts8

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I just button my french cuffs as barrel cuffs, see my thread looking for the button pieces.

beasty

Reaction score
???

Just get your tailor to sew a button next to the button hole and problem solved.
Thats how Zegna Couture does it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads