• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it okay to wear a tux with a normal dress shirt and a tie?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.SalvatoreLucania
i see, so i should wear a bow ? and a tux dress shirt?

Yes, a bowtie and a shirt with a "bib" that is rigid and you can put studs through to fasten it closed. Don't get a wing collar shirt get a normal spread collar tux shirt.

Mr.SalvatoreLucania

Reaction score
thanks and its for prom, thats why im wondering if i can wear a regular dress shirt and a tie. its a double breasted tux by the way.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will look 100x classier than everybody else if you stay away from those loud-ass colors, stick with black and white and tie your own bowtie, not one of those pre-tied ones. Also, spread collar tux shirt with studs and french cuffs. You're golden.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nay, nay and thrice nay!

I have a Thomas Pink maricella shirt for sale, turn down collar, picque cotton, French cuffs, hidden placket so you don't need studs. $50 plus whatever it costs to post, 15.5 neck, 33 sleeves. Now all you need is a black bow tie.

Mr.SalvatoreLucania

Reaction score
thanks alot patrick, i was gonna wear a normal white dress shirt, red tie and a red hankerchief on the pocket.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
See here:
dsYol.jpg

hCGlL.jpg

EGn6r.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good grief that last photo is horrible.
thanks and its for prom, thats why im wondering if i can wear a regular dress shirt and a tie. its a double breasted tux by the way.
Whatever you do, don't let Styleforum dress you for prom. Between the trolls and the 75-year-olds who think a 12-inch rise is minuscule, it will all go wrong. Dress similarly to how others are going to dress. If you don't know/can't ask your friends what they're wearing, look for photos of last year's event. Nobody took the time to wear a bowtie, tux shirt, etc. to my high-school or my college prom: essentially, everyone wore a suit. If you're the only guy in the crowd in a real tuxedo, it doesn't matter if a bunch of twats on the internet say you're the only guy doing it right, you will look like a douchebag. If everyone is going to dress properly, then of course you should follow suit.

Mr.SalvatoreLucania

Reaction score
great pictures. the buttons on the tux dress shirt dont have to be black buttons? im looking up spread collar tux shirt right now and hows this one

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
great pictures. the buttons on the tux dress shirt dont have to be black buttons? im looking up spread collar tux shirt right now and hows this one

I think that is ok, I prefer white mother of pearl, but I think you will be ok.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do what patrick posted....(except the shoes)

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how this is the new Wikipedia photo for "Tuxedo":

Tuxes.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Whatever you do, don't let Styleforum dress you for prom. Between the trolls and the 75-year-olds who think a 12-inch rise is minuscule, it will all go wrong.

Dress similarly to how others are going to dress. If you don't know/can't ask your friends what they're wearing, look for photos of last year's event.

Nobody took the time to wear a bowtie, tux shirt, etc. to my high-school or my college prom: essentially, everyone wore a suit. If you're the only guy in the crowd in a real tuxedo, it doesn't matter if a bunch of twats on the internet say you're the only guy doing it right, you will look like a douchebag.

That is your experience. My high school prom everybody wore tuxes and when I look back at the pictures I tell myself I would have looked better if I tied my own bowtie. He obviously wants to look good so I see nothing wrong with it. It is not like I am ancient by any means, I am 26 not speaking from a much older generation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads