• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it okay to wear a fedora indoors when there is nowhere to put it?

stylemeup

Reaction score
I like to wear a fedora in the winter, however the problem with this is that in olden times it was considered rude to wear a fedora indoors and perhaps it still is today. Which is one of the things I'm asking in this thread.

I notice if I'm shopping for groceries or browsing in a mall or just generally going about the activities in life that don't involve going to someone's home, I pretty much have to wear my fedora on my head indoors simply because there is no way to function with it in my hands whilst I need my hands free for doing others things. This creates a big etiquette problem if it's still considered rude to wear fedoras indoors.

What do you have to say about this?

Is it still considered rude to wear a fedora indoors?

If so, what do you guys do to get around this etiquette problem?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I like to wear a fedora in the winter, however the problem with this is that in olden times it was considered rude to wear a fedora indoors and perhaps it still is today. Which is one of the things I'm asking in this thread.

I notice if I'm shopping for groceries or browsing in a mall or just generally going about the activities in life that don't involve going to someone's home, I pretty much have to wear my fedora on my head indoors simply because there is no way to function with it in my hands whilst I need my hands free for doing others things. This creates a big etiquette problem if it's still considered rude to wear fedoras indoors.

What do you have to say about this?

Is it still considered rude to wear a fedora indoors?

If so, what do you guys do to get around this etiquette problem?

I am wearing caps for golf and have the same problem. IMO it is rude to wear a hat or a fedora indoors.

So before entering in the clubhouse or restaurant I take-off the cap and clamp it under my left arm (for shake hands the right hand is needed).

dsmolken

Reaction score
Via Google:

"Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:
(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.
(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance."

I think it's OK if you're shopping in a supermarket - it's a large public building, after all. Although the purpose of removing your hat is not so much courtesy or respect as it is to prevent women from thinking you're balding, so you might want to take it off anyway.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The lunch counter exception seems strange. But ok, next time I'm at Eisenbergs, I'll keep it on.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
The lunch counter exception seems strange. But ok, next time I'm at Eisenbergs, I'll keep it on.

If you look back at vintage photos' you'd understand the lunch counter issue. Packed diners with everybody wearing a hat.

And could you imagine the confusion trying to find your hat among 40 hanging on a wall?
wink.gif

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Although the purpose of removing your hat is not so much courtesy or respect as it is to prevent women from thinking you're balding, so you might want to take it off anyway.

Ha ha. I fail that test! LOL

I've been balding since my early twenties and I'm 29 now. It's gotten so bad in the past couple of years that I just shave my head completely bald at all times now because I actually look better that way than to have partial hair combined with a lot of balding.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is the biggest strike against fedoras and men's hats ... there just aren't any public accommodations for them anymore, no racks or anything. I still find it a bit rude to talk to someone indoors while they have a hat on and appreciate it when someone takes it off inside, especially when they're about to talk to me. Call me a square, I guess.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you look back at vintage photos' you'd understand the lunch counter issue. Packed diners with everybody wearing a hat.

And could you imagine the confusion trying to find your hat among 40 hanging on a wall?
wink.gif

Also, think of the painting Nighthawks at the Diner.
http://www.hubarts.com/photos/uncate...nighthawks.jpg

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
Ha ha. I fail that test! LOL
At least you can still look like a confident and honest man (especially if you shave your head) instead of one who thinks "hat" stands for "hair alternative treatment".

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If I am in a store or mall (I really never go to the mall) I leave it on. When I'm in the post office I'll usually leave it on until I get to the counter, although I often have packages I'm carrying then. I try to remove it when I get to any sort of store counter.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In stores- grocery, department etc. I leave it on. If I'm going to try something on (shoes, jackets etc.) I take it off.

Mr T

Reaction score
We can't be slaves to outdated etiquette.

In stores, malls etc. it is appropriate to wear your hat unless conversing with someone. Even if you run into someone at a store and start a conversation it is OK to converse with your hat on if your hands are full. Making a show of putting everything down just to take off your hat would draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

In restaurants w/out a hat/coat check it is acceptable to wear your hat to your table where it should be removed during the meal and replaced on your head after you leave the restaurant.

Common sense should always prevail -- few will be offended that you are not following the old rules. Older gentlemen will be happy to see a hat period. Those of us who know the old etiquette will be too gentlemanly to point out any mistakes.

3orangewhips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Those of us who know the old etiquette will be too gentlemanly to point out any mistakes.
+1 EDIT: We were watching "To Kill a Mockingbird" in class, and I pointed out to my students that you could tell Bob Ewell was a jackass because he came out of the courtroom wearing his hat, not carrying it like all the other men.

FedorAnimus

Reaction score
Of course, one could deal with the new hat-less culture by leaving the hat upon your head when in a resturant or so. Considering the lack of hooks (although, the newest resturants in my town happen to include jacket and hat hooks)

Of course, when conversing, even more so on a date, one should remove that in courtesy to the lady. When in a group of friends at a resturant, there shouldn't be much need to remove the hat if there is no available place to put it.

Basically, it comes down to if your hands are full or if you're "On a Mission", one doesn't need to remove the hat attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads