Is it OK to wear running shoes with jeans?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Essentio, May 27, 2009.

  1. Essentio

    Essentio Senior member

    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    Is it OK to wear running shoes with jeans? [​IMG]
     


  2. emmanuel

    emmanuel Senior member

    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    Location:
    The Empire
    Depends on your style. I think they look terrible unless you like the hip-hop style.
     


  3. emmanuel

    emmanuel Senior member

    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    Location:
    The Empire
    The shoes you posted suck regardless...
     


  4. IUtoSLU

    IUtoSLU Senior member

    Messages:
    2,310
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    In the real world
    Its fine for 99% of America. Most of us on this board fall into the other 1%.
     


  5. Essentio

    Essentio Senior member

    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    Depends on your style. I think they look terrible unless you like the hip-hop style.
    Thanks! Some of my friends say its an absolute no-no combination. Spaceship-looking multicolored running shoes are out of the question.
     


  6. Essentio

    Essentio Senior member

    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    The shoes you posted suck regardless...

    Perhaps. They seem to be popular with some celebrities. Not that celebrities are to follow or copy [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     


  7. Essentio

    Essentio Senior member

    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    Some info from AskMen: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/tip8.html

    Running shoes with jeans are permitted when:

    1- You want to be comfortable; slip on running shoes with your Levi's
    2- You want a fresh relaxed look
    3- You have good sneakers. Anything old or ripped should not be worn
    4- Running shoes are clean (you do not want to look like a mechanic)
    5- You put on a nice fitted sweater or shirt to go with your ensemble. The baggy look is for children
    6- Your jeans are slightly fitted; it looks better
    7- You have solid color running shoes; stay away from multi-colored spaceship looking ones
    8- You wear dark colored jeans
    9- The occasion is fitting (don't wear runners to a trendy nightspot)
     


  8. factorial

    factorial Senior member

    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    I wear my office pants at night...
    I think it's fine until you're out of college and have a job, at which point you should probably start phasing them out in favor of nicer shoes. I'll still wear them with jeans an a T-shirt from time to time when I don't care or feel like looking presentable, but most of the time if I'm out of the house I want to look nicer.

    Obviously they are NOT fine to wear with any pants other than jeans or perhaps corduroys. Sneakers combined with trousers ALWAYS look bad (yet are strangely common place to see on the streets in Chicago).
     


  9. odrs

    odrs Active Member

    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Eff no. Running shoes should only be worn for *gasp* running. Skater shoes can be worn with jeans... but only if you're early 20s.

    I'm currently sporting a pair of jeans and tan flip flops with a white t-shirt... but I'm an old looking 25 and can sort of pull off the beach bum look.
     


  10. Essentio

    Essentio Senior member

    Messages:
    463
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think it's fine until you're out of college and have a job, at which point you should probably start phasing them out in favor of nicer shoes.
    Point taken, thanks! P.S. They can still be worn for running, right? [​IMG]
     


  11. Trendy Sing Sing

    Trendy Sing Sing Senior member

    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Somewhere near NYC
    If you have nice ones then yes. But if not, it will look like your mom dressed you. By nice, I mean stuff like New Balence 1300s X Alife Rivington Club (or any other of ARCs collaborations should look nice.) You should only wear this if your goin for a streetwear look, though.
     


  12. emmanuel

    emmanuel Senior member

    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    Location:
    The Empire

    [​IMG]


    He looks terrible
     


  13. MrG

    MrG Senior member

    Messages:
    12,187
    Likes Received:
    4,344
    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    The Medicine Spring
    Its fine for 99% of America. Most of us on this board fall into the other 1%.

    +1 Well put. I know it's popular for the "comfy" look, but I can't stand it. The worst is when someone does it with brand new, bright white shoes. It just makes it stand out that much more...
     


  14. Kaplan

    Kaplan Senior member

    Messages:
    4,189
    Likes Received:
    2,686
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2008
    Location:
    In Hedonic Decline
    P.S. They can still be worn for running, right? [​IMG]
    Depends; how old are you? If you're in your teens or older you really shouldn't wear running shoes for running anymore.

    Get a pair of nice leather shoe from someone like Edward Green or Crockett & Jones. With a leather sole, natch.

    And remember: Captoes for sprinting and full brogues for distance running.

    Also: No brown in town.
     


  15. JohnD356

    JohnD356 Senior member

    Messages:
    391
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    I can't believe you people. Are you saying Jerry Seinfeld was wrong for all of the 1990s? Now my collection of tight black jeans and white tennis shoes are useless.
     


Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by