• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it Ok to wear French cuff shirts with the sleeves rolled up ?

stuarts8

Reaction score
Seasons Greetings all. Just wanted to know if it is ok to wear French cuff shirts with the sleeves rolled up ? If so which method is best , 1. with the cuffs folded back twice. 2 .Rolled up above the elbow.
in addition to which I usually leave the cufflinks in If I roll the sleeves up as I find it easier if I need to roll the sleeves down to just fasten the links rather than have to line up the cuffs so I can put the links in. I wonder if others leave their links in when rolling up the sleeves?
Cheers
stuarts8

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's best if you simply converted your such shirts to half-sleeved ones, thereby saving you all the trouble.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

It's best if you simply converted your such shirts to half-sleeved ones, thereby saving you all the trouble.

+1

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stuarts8
Seasons Greetings all. Just wanted to know if it is ok to wear French cuff shirts with the sleeves rolled up ? If so which method is best , 1. with the cuffs folded back twice. 2 .Rolled up above the elbow.
in addition to which I usually leave the cufflinks in If I roll the sleeves up as I find it easier if I need to roll the sleeves down to just fasten the links rather than have to line up the cuffs so I can put the links in. I wonder if others leave their links in when rolling up the sleeves?
Cheers
stuarts8

Rolling up your sleeves is fine if that's the look for which you are aiming; don't leave your links in though, you look stupid.

jenlain

Reaction score
I think rolling up the sleeves of a french cuff shirt would look pretty silly and contrived. Lots of extra fabric and a look that is out of place with the purpose of the shirt.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously?

Mr. White

Reaction score
#1: folded back twice

When I lived in Texas I did it all the time. But I kinda doubt that New Zealand has its heat and humidity.

Lemmings

Reaction score
Humidity has been pretty bad for the last couple of weeks (by New Zealand standards).

To answer your question, I do it every now and then when i'm running low on collared shirts to wear in a casual setting, but I wouldn't wear it to work. Take the cufflinks out.

jnm23q

Reaction score
I doubt most people would notice, but it's not ideal due to the extra fabric and risk of losing links

For this reason in the summer I normally wear single cuffs - less hassle to roll up. Are you that short on single cuff shirts?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mrbig

Reaction score
+1 on the single cuffed shirts.

But if it's acceptable to roll up your shirts where you're going: why don't you just roll them up (don't roll them up perfectly sized, just roll them up carelessly as you would any other shirt) at home, so you don't risk losing the links?

But yeah, don't leave the links in. You *will* look stupid if you do.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks weird but there's nothing wrong with it.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roll them up for necessity (e.g. eating, working, etc.) but if that's the look you want to convey all day, then in my opinion it is not a very good one. The point of a French cuff shirt is to wear it with links, why would you want to wear it otherwise?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Roll them up for necessity (e.g. eating, working, etc.) but if that's the look you want to convey all day, then in my opinion it is not a very good one. The point of a French cuff shirt is to wear it with links, why would you want to wear it otherwise?

This. While I love French cuffs, there are few instances in which I would ever need to roll them.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

The idea of a French cuff shirt is to be more formal. Why would you need to roll up your sleeves for eating, even if its finger foods? More importantly, what the hell kind of work would you be doing where you need to dress up in a French cuff shirt but roll them up to do your job?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads