• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to leave your dry cleaning in the plastic wrap?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my dry cleaning back (well not actually dry cleaning, they were laundered) and I was wondering if its ok for the fabric to leave it under the plastic wrap until I want to wear it (1-2 weeks), or should I unwrap it right away to let the cotton breath a bit more.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I do, and I've read that many others here do. Dry cleaner's plastic in particular is very thin and presumably still allows for some degree of breathing. Even if it didnt, two weeks is not going to hurt anything.

However, I have also heard, that if your dry cleaner still uses the more toxic chemicals (instead of the newer environmentally safe methods most cleaners are using now) you may want to unwrap it to allow it to breath as much as possible.

boo

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the clothing can be stained by the plastic if stored for a long period of time. I don't know this from experience, however.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
How? Plastic is clear!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
How? Plastic is clear!

you should take the clothes out of the plastic cover to let them air; chemicals from dry cleaning is erosive.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
How? Plastic is clear!
Something about the fumes from the chemicals reacting against the plastic and forming a resin. I am guilty of leaving my dry cleaning inside the clear plastic bags but I understand your clothes need to breath. Best to keep them inside a garment bag with the zipper open to both allow air circulation and protect them from dust settling on them.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
you should take the clothes out of the plastic cover to let them air; chemicals from dry cleaning is erosive.

Keep in mind- most shirts from the "dry cleaner" are not "dry cleaned" they are laundered as the OP points out. Dry cleaning is reserved for very specific applications.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Keep in mind- most shirts from the "dry cleaner" are not "dry cleaned" they are laundered as the OP points out. Dry cleaning is reserved for very specific applications.

i meant the actual dry cleaned graments. laundered shirts should be okay.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the plastic bag is meant to protect from the cleaners to your closet.
your suit needs to breathe.

if you have a wife, mother, or gf , that sews ask her this
to make from old sheets or pillow cases simple garment covers.
the cloth makes an excellent garment cover. it breaths well.
an easy project even for a beginning sewer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads