• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it me or is the current v-neck t-shirt trend atrocious?

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of guys lately in slim black jeans, some form of sneaker, like Chucks, and v-neck t-shirts, usually accoutered by a tote bag of some form.

I think it looks really really silly.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's two ways to wear a v-neck tee. I've adopted the trend, but I wear it with blue jeans (generally a regular fit) and in general, I look like a healthy man. I think a v-neck tee shows a little bit of confidence.

I think you're referring to the other typical v-neck style, which is very heroin-chic, skinny males, tote bag, skinnyskinny tapered jeans. THAT, I think, looks silly.

And you're from Brooklyn, you're noticing it because EVERYfuckingBODY is NYC is wearing it.

capnpyro

Reaction score
I'd agree with blank, although I'm currently wearing a white AA v-neck, diors and was wearing some white canvas shoes today so what do I know. It's comfortable, looks nice enough. I don't see what the problem is.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
I've been seeing a lot of guys lately in slim black jeans, some form of sneaker, like Chucks, and v-neck t-shirts, usually accoutered by a tote bag of some form.

I think it looks really really silly.

You just described me though I don't carry a tote.

But I've been considering getting one: http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family

for work though...

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
censored.gif

Like with almost every item of clothing, you can wear it well, or you can make it look bad. Or you can just be angry at people for dressing differently. It's hard to believe such a simple look can make you that upset. Some people can wear it and look great, others not as much. If the stuff fits and is relatively flattering on them, then why not. It's not like it's oversized jeans, sandals and a lacoste polo. Seems like you have more a problem with those type of people than vnecks themselves. Get over it.

I don't know about tote bags, i do like the shoulder bags though. There is a solid variety of different military surplus bags for under $30. Only 3-4 colors and they're pretty much all canvas but i like some of them a bunch. I have a black one that i wear to school every day. I'm just not sure i could pull off a tote bag. I can see it as an alternative to a briefcase or something else, but if i'm at school i need to carry books and if i'm just walking around, i don't need anything but my keys, phone and wallet. I usually just put them in my pocket or throw them in my girlfriend's purse(that's why i bought her a big one for christmas
wink.gif
)

ts4them

Reaction score
I think tote bags look kind of queeny, particularly when they're worn over the shoulder. Are there that many straight guys carrying tote bags?

PS- I like v-necks.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
I agree, 9 times out of 10 its gross.

What do you guys find 'atrocious' and 'gross' about them? Is it when there's chest hair showing, or do you think they're too casual and should be worn as undershirts? Are you talking about the ones with the deep neck or just any v-neck?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
As long as it isn't the AA deep vneck by itself, vnecks don't really look "gross". Maybe if there is a bunch of chest hair poking out, but they look pretty good on people. They open their face up and give you a slightly different look than a boring crew neck. What's gross about this? http://www.michaeljkrell.com/619.jpg There are plenty of other examples of vnecks not being gross. It's just a different look. Vnecks have also been around before just recently and will continue to be after whatever trend is over.

ts4them

Reaction score
^^Exactly. I've been wearing them on and off for many years so I'm surprised that some people think they're atrocious.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
^^Exactly. I've been wearing them on and off for many years so I'm surprised that some people think they're atrocious.

me too, the regular hanes ones go down pretty far.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I have seen it done well, and I have seen it done badly. I think it depends on the shirt, and also on the persons complexion.

I probably couldn't pull one off personally, but think those who can look good and are probably slightly more comfortable on hot humid days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads