• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it just me or are Allen Edmonds uncomfortable?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Avenues and a pair of Lexingtons. The PA's are much less comfortable than the Lexingtons - don't know why. I can only wear them for about 5 hours before I fee like taking them off.I have superfeet in both, but it's killing me, nonetheless. These dress shoes are the only ones that are uncomfortable to me. I have a pair of Sandfords that feel fine, but the above two are driving me mad.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different models are made on different lasts (forms). You may take one sizing in one style and another sizing in another style.
Don't buy online unless you are clear on your last knowledge. This applies to all manufacturers, not just Allen Edmonds.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely there are differences between AE and other brands like C&J other than last that affect comfort?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Standing? Sitting? Walking?

Walking, my good man, and standing. I'm almost entirely flat footed and must wear orthotics in my shoes or my feel will kill me by the end of the day. My feet feel fine when I put them on and for the first few hours, but if I spend much time walking, it begins to become quite uncomfortable. Maybe it's because the shoe(s) doesn't sit evenly on the floor when I'm inspecting it(them). I've never felt this kind of discomfort with shoes. I play tennis and can wear those shoes all day(and a pair of split-toe AE's I have)

I read a thread about this before on SF, but basically, the heel doesn't sit completely flat on the floor, and comes off 1/8" off of the ground in the rear half.

habanos

Reaction score
Has to be the last any your foot shape. I enjoy the 5 last and have no problems but the 2 last kills me.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does the pain facilitate? Toe box, heel, bottom of the foot? These aren't walking shoes my any means, but what can help is Vibram or other rubber soles considering you walk/stand so much.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where does the pain facilitate? Toe box, heel, bottom of the foot? These aren't walking shoes my any means, but what can help is Vibram or other rubber soles considering you walk/stand so much.
Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

The pain is predominantly in my heels and arches. I believe the Lexington's are made with the 1 Last.

R-H

Reaction score
Most of the AEs that I've owned were terribly uncomfortable. I gave most of them away to charity.

I have the Park Avenue which is somewhere in the middle. Certainly uncomfortable after a long day of walking.

LImorowman

Reaction score
I found all the AE lasts to be uncomfortable. None of the lasts match my foot shape I guess. If you are dead set on AE, try on all of their lasts, and at the end of the day when your feet are the biggest. I was very disappointed with Allen Edmonds because of this. I returned mine and got a pair of Alden's. Did you buy them at Nordstrom? If so, I would take them back.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will definitely look at the Alden shoes, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E has solid construction although it seems like they use the toughest leather known to man. Super stiff, why I typically pass on AE's in favor of C&J although the neumok's look pretty tempting at 200/pop

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds also has an Orthotic line.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_______130259_subcategory?
There are only 2 models to choose from but perhaps they can make other styles in an Orthotic configuration as a custom order. You would have to inquire with them.
In any case, it is not the shoes fault or the manufacturers fault. It is no different with shoes as it is to shirts or suits. Not everyone can wear OTR. It is unfortunate but a reality for many people. Also, there are other manufacturers to explore. One last thought....do not over-tighten your laces if you have a high instep no matter who made the shoes.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about AE's when I first got them was that they are relatively unpadded and have stiff soles compared to a lot of makers. If this is really bothering you, look at the AE for brooks brothers line, since those have a pre-installed padded insole and rubber traction outsole and are a lot more forgiving.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a fellow flat foot, I empathize with your problem. The Park Avenue destroyed my feet when I went TTS regardless of arch supports (Superfeet or Pedag). I went up one half size with the same width. The fit is good using the Pedag Balance insert. I was on my feet almost 14 hours last week, and I felt fine when I got home and took off the shoes. Consider the possibility that the size is the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics