Is it just me or are Allen Edmonds uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forbritisheyes, Apr 8, 2012.

1. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Couldn't agree more. I am not flat footed but as someone who also spends a lot of time on my feet in my Allen Edmonds I can't emphasize just how important proper fit is. You need to try on a sample from each last in your standard size/width and then every iteration of +/- 1 in length and +/- 1 in width. On one last you might be a 9D, on another a 9.5C, on another a 8.5E. Until you've done that you just can't blame anything but the fit of the shoe. It has nothing to do with heals/manufacture/sole material. When you get the shoes really dialed in and find you perfect last/length/width combination it will feel like the shoes were custom made. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to another brand, if you don't take the time to find the right fit you'll just have the same problems.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ While I agree, I have found Aldens to be a better fit in general as they use combination lasts. As a flat foot, the Alden Barrie last has worked well for me and is comfy. But you can get a good fit from Allen Edmonds, it just takes some time and patience to work sizing on the 5 last. You also have to accept that you may need custom sizing in some styles.

3. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Thanks for the recommendation, fellas. Does that mean I should go to an AE store and try on everything and bring my orthotics with me? The only thing I'm uncertain of is if this will help, because I may not feel any discomfort until 1+ hours of wear.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Well, that's sort of what I did. But I can't shake the feeling that your shoes are too small. I was OK with an 11C, but after wearing for a few hours my feet hurt. There wasn't enough room for my feet to swell. Going up to an 11.5C solved the problem. Of course, I had to wear the shoes to find out. That's why I like Nordstrom. No fuss exchanges.

5. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

another alternative is if you have time to burn buy from zappos or nordstrom who have good return policies, try them on longer on carpet so you don't scuff the shoes and if it doesn't work you can return them undamaged and in sellable condition

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

My fitting experience spanned Nordstrom, AE store, and Amazon. Nordstrom offers free return shipping for online orders. You can't beat that. The AE store will have the widest selection of sizes in stock.

I may have missed it before, but what is your brannock size? And have you tried printing the AE fit guide?

I measure an 11-W7 on the fit guide. I went up to an 11.5-W8 which translates to an 11.5C. Voila. Could work for you.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

I sold my AEs since I bought 11D when it should have been 10.5E probably and got some Aldens now and will probably pick up some C&Js once I start working. I wouldn't say they were uncomfortable though

8. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

I have a pair of AE Macneil's and are by far the most uncomfortable shoes I have owned. I too can only wear them for a few hours at a time. The leather is way to stiff for my liking. Although I should checkout to see which last mine was built on. Anyone know how to figure that out?

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

MacNeil = #7 Last

Calf has very little give. Cordovan less so. Your foot needs room to expand. I still think it's a size issue.

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Sizing on dress shoes is the most important part. I used to go TTS on my dress shoes. Since I don't walk much on my shoes they take at least 10-20 wear to properly break in(double leather soul). And during the breaking period they kill my feet. I had corns on my toes and etc.....
    Now I just go 1/2 size big. Mind you 1/2 size is only about 1/6th of an inch. Recently I purchased a pair one full size up ....and guess what I can hardly feel this with thick socks. Now I know sf members will disagree with me about wearing shoes that are 1/2 size big. I have 2 pairs of RLs(Made by AE) ..nice looking shoes but painful to wear more than 3/4 hours.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

E last sizing is tricky business. I think out of the 6 AE's i have, i only have a perfect fit on 3. The other 3, the toe box gets cramped after a while, all the while some slight slipping in the heal.

So in these cases, i could go smaller to get a better heal fit, but have more toe cramming. Or go bigger to release the toe box, but have even more heal slippage. Sometimes last are not for your feet...

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I don't think I've ever owned an uncomfortable pair of AEs.

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i used to love AEs....but i havent worn mine in months....too tight in some areas, too bulbous in others. quality is hit or miss, great shoe for a hundo...but theres no way id pay retail for them. I just havent been happy with any of them ive purchased.

14. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

I'll have to go to SF for that. I'll bring one of my more savvy friends. Thing is, I bought these on eBay xD I assumed I was a 12D, since I used AE's measuring print-out. But my mom owns a menswear store so I should just use her Brannock. I'll definitely look into trying out Fifth Avenues a width larger next time(I like the broguing/perforations).

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member