1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it just me or are Allen Edmonds uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forbritisheyes, Apr 8, 2012.

1. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

I have a pair of Park Avenues and a pair of Lexingtons. The PA's are much less comfortable than the Lexingtons - don't know why. I can only wear them for about 5 hours before I fee like taking them off.I have superfeet in both, but it's killing me, nonetheless. These dress shoes are the only ones that are uncomfortable to me. I have a pair of Sandfords that feel fine, but the above two are driving me mad.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Different models are made on different lasts (forms). You may take one sizing in one style and another sizing in another style.
    Don't buy online unless you are clear on your last knowledge. This applies to all manufacturers, not just Allen Edmonds.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Surely there are differences between AE and other brands like C&J other than last that affect comfort?

4. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Standing? Sitting? Walking?

5. forbritisheyes

Walking, my good man, and standing. I'm almost entirely flat footed and must wear orthotics in my shoes or my feel will kill me by the end of the day. My feet feel fine when I put them on and for the first few hours, but if I spend much time walking, it begins to become quite uncomfortable. Maybe it's because the shoe(s) doesn't sit evenly on the floor when I'm inspecting it(them). I've never felt this kind of discomfort with shoes. I play tennis and can wear those shoes all day(and a pair of split-toe AE's I have)

I read a thread about this before on SF, but basically, the heel doesn't sit completely flat on the floor, and comes off 1/8" off of the ground in the rear half.

6. habanos

habanos Senior member

Has to be the last any your foot shape. I enjoy the 5 last and have no problems but the 2 last kills me.

7. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Where does the pain facilitate? Toe box, heel, bottom of the foot? These aren't walking shoes my any means, but what can help is Vibram or other rubber soles considering you walk/stand so much.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

8. forbritisheyes

The pain is predominantly in my heels and arches. I believe the Lexington's are made with the 1 Last.

9. R-H

R-H Senior member

Most of the AEs that I've owned were terribly uncomfortable. I gave most of them away to charity.

I have the Park Avenue which is somewhere in the middle. Certainly uncomfortable after a long day of walking.

10. LImorowman

LImorowman Well-Known Member

I found all the AE lasts to be uncomfortable. None of the lasts match my foot shape I guess. If you are dead set on AE, try on all of their lasts, and at the end of the day when your feet are the biggest. I was very disappointed with Allen Edmonds because of this. I returned mine and got a pair of Alden's. Did you buy them at Nordstrom? If so, I would take them back.

11. forbritisheyes

I will definitely look at the Alden shoes, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

E has solid construction although it seems like they use the toughest leather known to man. Super stiff, why I typically pass on AE's in favor of C&J although the neumok's look pretty tempting at 200/pop

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Allen Edmonds also has an Orthotic line.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_______130259_subcategory?
    There are only 2 models to choose from but perhaps they can make other styles in an Orthotic configuration as a custom order. You would have to inquire with them.
    In any case, it is not the shoes fault or the manufacturers fault. It is no different with shoes as it is to shirts or suits. Not everyone can wear OTR. It is unfortunate but a reality for many people. Also, there are other manufacturers to explore. One last thought....do not over-tighten your laces if you have a high instep no matter who made the shoes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  14. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

One thing I noticed about AE's when I first got them was that they are relatively unpadded and have stiff soles compared to a lot of makers. If this is really bothering you, look at the AE for brooks brothers line, since those have a pre-installed padded insole and rubber traction outsole and are a lot more forgiving.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

As a fellow flat foot, I empathize with your problem. The Park Avenue destroyed my feet when I went TTS regardless of arch supports (Superfeet or Pedag). I went up one half size with the same width. The fit is good using the Pedag Balance insert. I was on my feet almost 14 hours last week, and I felt fine when I got home and took off the shoes. Consider the possibility that the size is the problem.

16. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Couldn't agree more. I am not flat footed but as someone who also spends a lot of time on my feet in my Allen Edmonds I can't emphasize just how important proper fit is. You need to try on a sample from each last in your standard size/width and then every iteration of +/- 1 in length and +/- 1 in width. On one last you might be a 9D, on another a 9.5C, on another a 8.5E. Until you've done that you just can't blame anything but the fit of the shoe. It has nothing to do with heals/manufacture/sole material. When you get the shoes really dialed in and find you perfect last/length/width combination it will feel like the shoes were custom made. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to another brand, if you don't take the time to find the right fit you'll just have the same problems.

17. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ While I agree, I have found Aldens to be a better fit in general as they use combination lasts. As a flat foot, the Alden Barrie last has worked well for me and is comfy. But you can get a good fit from Allen Edmonds, it just takes some time and patience to work sizing on the 5 last. You also have to accept that you may need custom sizing in some styles.

18. forbritisheyes

Thanks for the recommendation, fellas. Does that mean I should go to an AE store and try on everything and bring my orthotics with me? The only thing I'm uncertain of is if this will help, because I may not feel any discomfort until 1+ hours of wear.

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Well, that's sort of what I did. But I can't shake the feeling that your shoes are too small. I was OK with an 11C, but after wearing for a few hours my feet hurt. There wasn't enough room for my feet to swell. Going up to an 11.5C solved the problem. Of course, I had to wear the shoes to find out. That's why I like Nordstrom. No fuss exchanges.

20. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

another alternative is if you have time to burn buy from zappos or nordstrom who have good return policies, try them on longer on carpet so you don't scuff the shoes and if it doesn't work you can return them undamaged and in sellable condition