Is it impossible to raise/slim armholes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ajsmit11, Aug 28, 2013.

1. ajsmit11

ajsmit11 Active Member

Last week, I impulse-bought a PRL Blue Label Corneliani charcoal solid suit, in Ralph's slimmer Bleecker fit (3/2, side vents, trim flat-fronts, etc.), off of eBay. With the exception of letting out the inseam about an inch and lowering the collar ever so slightly, it fits perfectly.

Oops, I forgot: the armholes seem to have been made for men who couldn't possibly fit in this suit. They're not horrifically low (I've seen much, much worse), but they're low enough to make me think that I should return an otherwise excellent suit. Is this situation reparable, or should I just give up and head over to SuitSupply for my much-needed, much-higher-armholed basic suit?

2. ajsmit11

ajsmit11 Active Member

Bump. I'm desperate. Gotta return it tomorrow if I can't do this!

3. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

It's possible but expensive, difficult, and it may throw off the proportions of the fit. Recommend posting photos or heading over to the tailor thread.

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

You would have to shorten from the top, which is not advisable. If your shoulders are more sloped than the jacket's, you could have that adjusted, which would make the armhole somewhat smaller. $$$ though.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

How would you expect the fill the gap in the body of the suit? Playing about with the top might help a bit but is step too for for most alteration tailors.

Without images it is difficult to be certain but get rid of it and start again - don't leave the shop with such an obvious fault next time!

6. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

You can also take it in from the chest, the result you can get is an armhole about a size smaller which can make a big difference.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

David

Is this cutting and carving of a garment really a good idea and how skilled does the alterations tailor need to be to avoid it looking like a dog's breakfast.

8. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

It is not uncommon to do very complicated alterations with bespoke work. It's a perfectly viable option, but I only use highly skilled tailors that are paid well. Most tailors would refuse the work either because of lack of skill or the amount of time involved. For most tailors it's more economical to hem trousers and skirts than to do serious tailoring.

As far as alterations are concerned virtually anything is possible, it just comes down to time, cost and skill.

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, given enough time and skill you could even have the whole sides of the jacket replaced to raise the armholes, provided the tailor has access to the original cloth. I've had that done on a MTM jacket that came with armholes at waist level (the factory added depth where they should have substracted it). There were limits, as part of the scye front extends into the forepart, but at least it ended up being wearable.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

10. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

I would never have thought that Polo Ralph Lauren suits had low armholes.