1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it feasible to repair the upper of a shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cataan, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

For example, a dent in the leather of the toe portion, or a crease in the upper? I've never had shoes repairs and have no idea what it might cost to have something like this done. Thoughts appreciated.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

There's some pics of the Prince of England wearing shoes with repaired uppers. But I believe those are custom Lobbs he wears. Unless your shoes are especially precious to you or extraordinarily expensive I doubt it would be worth it. I don't know of anyone who would do such work.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Creases aren't damage. They're the natural consequence of wearing the shoe. Not sure what you mean by dents. Certainly you can prevent creases from turning into cracks with shoe trees and regular polish and conditioning, but they're never going to go away entirely.

As for patching holes, it is possible, but hard and thus expensive. Unless you're wearing custom shoes and are just too stubborn to let them die, I wouldn't bother.

Anyway, here's the pic of Prince Charles' shoes. Yes, it's possible, if you have a beloved pair of 40 year old bespoke shoes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012