• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it fashionably wrong to wear jeans with a sport coat?

neato

Reaction score
I've been told a sport coat should only be worn with dress pants. I've also heard that a blazer (the coat with the brass buttons) is more versatile and can be worn with jeans/khakis/dress pants/etc.

I kind of like the look of sport coat + jeans......do I like something taboo or is this acceptable?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acceptable in my book.
Not 'business-appropriate' though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
scorpio_with_bont.jpg

ccc123

Reaction score
I've been enjoying the look for years - just make sure everything fits you properly!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. Depends on the situation and the condition/type of jeans. The more distressed or decorated the jeans, the more counter culture the look. If jeans are really refined looking like a pair I am getting made up by my tailor from a high grade, lightweight denim then they are a bit dressier than taking a rougher pair from Levis or GAP (Although you could do much worse than these two brands). Wearing jeans with them may have revived the odd jacket which was starting to dwindle as a choice.​

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that Esquire magazine is the end-all for style by any means, but I like what they did with this topic in the June 2008 issue (Obama on the cover)-- page 66-- here is the online article with smaller photos of the looks.

http://www.esquire.com/style/denim-styles-0608

I wear a sportcoat with jeans every time I go to manhattan-- or to dinner when in more casual cities like phoenix, san diego, etc.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Not that Esquire magazine is the end-all for style by any means, but I like what they did with this topic in the June 2008 issue (Obama on the cover)-- page 66-- here is the online article with smaller photos of the looks. http://www.esquire.com/style/denim-styles-0608 I wear a sportcoat with jeans every time I go to manhattan-- or to dinner when in more casual cities like phoenix, san diego, etc.
Notice those jeans are all clean and classically cut, no Hip Hop styling, no rips, slahes what have you. Hey if it gets more people wearing jackets, I am all for it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No - quite acceptable.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Jeans have moved on since the early days of Levi Strauss, and the sports jacket is a natural accomplice for them. Here is a good article that talks a bit about sports jackets and jeans.

http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-sp...about-(a).html

Blazers and Jeans are a nice look too. I know Andy Warhol was a big fan of this look.

Good Luck!

Financier

Reaction score
Like most looks, there are some really poor examples out there, but jeans and sportscoats can be worn together successfully.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hot where I am right now, sitting in a bar in dark Earnest Sewns, a blue Michael J. Krell fluted V-neck, and an RL creme flax jacket.

Heck yes it's appropriate! Will post pics when I get back to my room.

~ Huntsman

neato

Reaction score
If I were to buy one dark sport coat to try the the look out, what would be the best/most versatile color? Navy blue? Black?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads