1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is it fashionable to be intentionally unfashionable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by revvs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. revvs

revvs Member

Please tell me it is.

I have a suden urge to walk around everywhere wearing a bright hawaiian shirt, panama hat, shorts and brogues or perhaps espadrilles with no socks.

Will I be laughed at in London? I may go for some pale chinos instead of shorts in this weather

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Pls post flicks so that I can evaluate...

3. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

If you start by asking yourselves those questions and are afraid of being laughed at, you already lose whatever hopes of pulling it off.

You ain't got the confidence, swag and vibe to pull anything off the moment you start being self-conscious

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Considering how cold it is at the moment, people will probably just think you're insane and try to avoid making eye contact.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

If you wear cargo shorts and hiking boots they'll just think you're a software engineer.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You can wear it if you wish. You might want to worry more about being hauled in 'for evaluation' than for being laughed at though. That get up in London in the middle of winter is just plain CRAZY!

7. TopHatChef

TopHatChef Senior member

There is a time and a place for everything, but a Hawaiian shirt in London is probably a no no. Just wear a bright shirt with little-no pattern, and rock it! To me, half of fashion is having the balls to wear it, the other half is putting the outfit together properly. I've seen loads of "high fashion" that looked like crap. Burberry had a photo up on their website a week or so back that was hideous.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

PICS please. Wear what you want, just dont be that guy in a bright hawaiian shirt prancing around Brixton at 2:00am or wondering around some dodgy east London dive in the wee hours of the morning - you dont want to stick out like a sore thumb now, surely not?

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Antifashion has a new saviour. :)

10. JumpinHowie

JumpinHowie Senior member

As long as you are wearing it in the right season you should do it. Like others have said, if you have the confidence, people will say that and think you are stylish, if you have no confidence, they will think you are oblivious to style.
    First off, the shirt has to be perfectly tailored as Hawaiian shirts are notoriously cut way too large. Second, the shorts are going to make it really hard to pull off correctly. I think some slim chino's or linen pants would be much more believable. Good luck and I would love to see pics of the final product.[​IMG]

11. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

It helps to be 6'2'', have 10% body fat and have a face that should belong on a model. A cigarette in your mouth and a right amount of scowl about your brow also helps. Anything looks good when you're that good looking.

12. JumpinHowie

JumpinHowie Senior member

You know, that is actually a really good point that no one brings up. If you are going to try something outlandish you really need to have at least an average body ( I would say primarily a slim wist line) to be able to pull things like this off well. It may still be possible with a big gut, but it is alot less likely to be taken seriously. But if your confidence is big enough just about anyone might be able to pull of an outlandish look.

13. TopHatChef

TopHatChef Senior member

I really love (sincerely) that most people would shrug this off as a stupid and silly idea, and almost everyone here is practically encouraging it. Part of me wishes I had a bright Hawaiian to throw on now and go out to the shops.

14. connor09

connor09 Senior member

I find that with urges, to each his own right? aesthetically speaking, they probably won't laugh at you, but you will most likely get crazy looks.

15. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

I certainly hope so. Just to be sure, add a regimental tie.

16. razl

razl Senior member

Please stop calling them "engineers". There's no professional organization certifying software developers or programmers as "engineers". Calling them such demeans true engineers in other disciplines. While we're at it, preemptively can any "architect" labels either :facepalm:

(this from a CTO who worked his way up as a software developer for 25+ years and considers himself a fine programmer)

/offtopic

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. revvs

revvs Member

Thanks for the advice.

I agree that it is best to play it safe initially by sticking with hiking boots to blend in with IT people

Cheers

18. razl

razl Senior member

revvs == re-reevolving?

:puzzled:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  19. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

20. revvs

revvs Member

revvs == really elaborately vibrant vintage style