• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ever ok to look through your SO's mail/msg history?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Do you think it's ever acceptable for your SO to look through your call or message history or emails without asking you? (and vice verse of course) What do you think is an appropriate reaction to one's SO looking through their msg history/emails and the like?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what would you do if you switched positions with the SO?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think it is. if you dont trust them that much, you should either confront them with the reasons why, or break it off. you should never go through other peoples things reguardless of the situation.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Do you think it's ever acceptable for your SO to look through your call or message history or emails without asking you? (and vice verse of course) What do you think is an appropriate reaction to one's SO looking through their msg history/emails and the like?
Riffling someone's private effects is not a proper activity for a gentleman.
And it would be insulting to ask.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn`t matter if it`s OK or not. They`re going to look through your mail anyway.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's only okay if she doesn't find anything incriminating.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont have anything to hide, but I would find it disconcerting if my gf started reading my correspondance.

K

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
It's only okay if she doesn't find anything incriminating.

Sometimes I download incriminating things just so she has something to look at when she looks through the laptop. However, this is a special case: it's not completely my laptop, it was hers, until she ruined it, and since it sat there gathering dust, I refurbished it and now use it regularly. So that is a sticky point where she might claim - well, it's mine, of course I'll crack it open.

Does she log in to my email or phone? No. And I don't check hers either.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think it is ever appropriate for either one in the relationship. I don't see what good can ever come of it and it can only make things worse in a relationship that obviously has some trust issues (otherwise, there'd be no question of looking through the other person's private information).

I've never really thought the issue out thoroughly, but it seems to me people look through that stuff hoping to find something... otherwise, why would they do it if they had no suspicions? If they are mistrustful and DON'T find anything, then they might worry that the hidden information is just elsewhere. If they are just doing it to "check up" on you... then you need to get a set of balls and set some boundaries that can't be crossed.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting how the thread is titled one direction (is it OK if you look through theirs) and then the question is actually reversed, (can they look through yours).

The answer should remain the same but the initial disposition somehow is different.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

Absolutely not. This is a plain violation of one's privacy. My reaction? I hope I would simply ask her to never do it again. If I caught her doing it again, I'm not sure what I would do.

Unless you've been killed and she's looking for evidence that someone sent you threatening texts or e-mails. Then it's okay.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads