• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it even possible to wear looser clothing and be stylish these days?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, the early adaptors have already moved onto this - looser tops (often deliberately oversized and drapey) with pegleg bottoms. I'd say that the majority of designers have moved on from fitted. Just check out the latest runway collections, lookbooks from small designers like KZO, and so on.

I see mostly fitted looks for f/w 2009:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...EN/runwayshows

I don't see a lot of loose looks other than Yohji:

http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...te/thumb/YYMEN

I prefer the fitted looks.

(If we are going to go back to loose fit, then I am just going to pull all my gigantic Seinfeld-era shirts out the closet and wear those again).

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'll keep fighting the good fight.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I see mostly fitted looks for f/w 2009: http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...EN/runwayshows I don't see a lot of loose looks other than Yohji: http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...te/thumb/YYMEN I prefer the fitted looks. (If we are going to go back to loose fit, then I am just going to pull all my gigantic Seinfeld-era shirts out the closet and wear those again).
You're looking at the runway shows for the select, premium brands/designers that mensstyle.com has selected for their website. Not really indicative of fashion as a whole. +1 to everything Chrono said. I'm usually trying to do somewhat looser + somewhat fitted stuff. Slim is always easier as long as you have the build and the pieces. Super slim stuf is probably less widely accepted than somewhat fitted or even kinda loose stuff. Drapey and anti-fit stuff is more high fashion or hipsterism.

Trackstarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Souljah Boy is the Ed Hardy of music.
lol... your wrong, at least Ed Hardy is slightly respectable

duck sauce

Reaction score
i can no longer take pride in the fact that i run track.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanna does have this down, alright

The A/W08 YSL Rive Gauche collection was possibly the apex of recent loose-fit style, at least as far as tailored looks go

Thomas0302

Reaction score
I'm starting to wear oversized tops a bit more now but I don't see me ever going to loose fitting pants. They just look horrible on me.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
I am the other way round. For me the top must be fitted but I quite like the contrast between that and baggy bottoms on occassion. I think Bobo can get away with a lot of stuff on the top that the rest of us can't because he's tall so things tend to drape on his frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads