• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it cliche to Agnelli it?

tgfny

Reaction score
Having some new shirts made and wanted to know if wearing a watch over your cuff is acceptable for anyone other than Italian playboys? It is a limited edition watch that I have designed and I want to promote it subtly, but it would obviously be seen more if I had shirts made to handle the watch on the cuff. Just wondering your opinions.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't. There are many fine things that can be imported from Europe. This is not one of them
smile.gif

William Massena

Reaction score
It is ridiculous except if you first name is Gianni. As for promoting a watch, the one who want to check out your watch won't need to see it atop your cuff. Actually, it would produce the counter effect.

W.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do it.

there are many different styles of cuffs meant to hold the watch. Some look better than others. By getting one of these, you can have the shirt made to your true wrist size, rather than having to use an allowance of 3/8" or so.

edited to correct what didn't make sense.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Instead of paying so much attention to your watch, pay some to your English: "Agnelli" is not a verb.

Jim

Reaction score
I heard Agnelli wore the watch outside the cuff because he was allergic to metals.  When I heard it, I didn't think to mention that gold, and I am sure he wore gold watches, is non-reactive. Good story, though.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
One rationale for the watch wrapped around the cuff look is that the bespoke Italian shirt is so tight and fitted at the cuff that there is no room for the watch around the wrist.

BTW, I saw Fabio Borrelli wear his watch "Agnelli style."

alchimiste

Reaction score
If it's bespoke you can have a looser cuff on the side where you wear your watch. So this argument would be OK for RTW but falls apart in the case of bespoke.

trogdor

Reaction score
Please don't. There are many fine things that can be imported from Europe. This is not one of them
smile.gif
Ah, but have you seen the "Watch Cuff" shirt from Interno8? It's designed with Agnelli in mind and enables you to wear the watch through the cuff. They won some British design awards. They're very nice shirts, if a tad overpriced. Have a look through their online catalogue to find a picture of the "Polso Orologio": http://www.interno8.net/

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's bespoke you can have a looser cuff on the side where you wear your watch. So this argument would be OK for RTW but falls apart in the case of bespoke.
read my previous post. it is precisely the fact that the cuff needs to be made larger to accomodate the watch that some men prefer to wear the watch over the cuff.

to me it's just a matter of preference. i see nothing gawdy in wearing your watch agnelli style. as i said before though, some of these cuff styles look better than others.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trogdor,
yes. that's one of the styles i was referring to. there are others.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy with this look the other day. He pulled it off amazing.

I say go for it. Since I've seen the watch he is talking about, it would definitely work.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Matador - Somebody claimed that Agnelli had to to do because his shirt was bespoke. This argument is illogical. Such was my point. Mathieu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics