• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is it better to take in pants or let them out if you in between sizes?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am blessed with strong legs and a strong butt. We are not talking Bo Jackson, but I still have a slight problem when buying pants as my waist tends to be proportionally smaller then my hips, and thighs (nothing too extreme though - about one pant size difference). I am about to buy some more pants, and I am wondering if I should go for a size that fits well everywhere, but has some pulling across my hips - and have these pants let out in the area that pulls, or go the next size up which fits my butt and have the waist taken in an 1" ?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit the butt/seat and thigh, then take in the waist. It's a much smaller and cheaper operation.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1

Best to fit your largest area and then reduce. where needed. Most trousers have little or no outlets to work with in letting out the seat and crotch.

Exception is when you are built the opposite of OP. No butt and slender thigh. Fit the seat and let out the waist.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Thanks this is what I have been doing (taking pants in an inch)

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Fit the butt/seat and thigh, then take in the waist. It's a much smaller and cheaper operation.

Yup!

Regards.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree. During my cycling years I ran into this problem often. Taking the waist in is much easier, and also cheaper.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found myself in both situations...but perhaps it is because I am after a slim fit. Depending on the brand, I sometimes have to size down 1 to get the fit I want in the thighs/legs and I am by no means skinny. Thin, yes, but I do play soccer (football so as not to offend the 'cross the ponders) so I don't have twigs for legs.

Anyways, I usually let the seat out and waist about 1" and have not had a problem.

In other brands, I have to get the crotch and sometimes waist taken in to slim up the upper leg.

I think it all depends on the fit you are going for and your body type. Also I think it depends on the fabric used. Wool can go either way. Cotton can be trickier I think, especially if it's been washed/treated in any way. Corduroy I think would be best to be taken in rather than let out.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True. I'm in the same boat. Get them to fit your ass and legs and the waist is a simple operation.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat Jeff. When buying trousers whenever I find some that fit well in the seat and thigh, the waist has to come in 1" or so. I did once try the opposite with a pair of trousers that fit well on the waist and were good in the seat but tight across the thighs...didn't work very well as there was so little extra fabric to let out along the leg seams.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40