• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it better to take in pants or let them out if you in between sizes?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am blessed with strong legs and a strong butt. We are not talking Bo Jackson, but I still have a slight problem when buying pants as my waist tends to be proportionally smaller then my hips, and thighs (nothing too extreme though - about one pant size difference). I am about to buy some more pants, and I am wondering if I should go for a size that fits well everywhere, but has some pulling across my hips - and have these pants let out in the area that pulls, or go the next size up which fits my butt and have the waist taken in an 1" ?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit the butt/seat and thigh, then take in the waist. It's a much smaller and cheaper operation.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1

Best to fit your largest area and then reduce. where needed. Most trousers have little or no outlets to work with in letting out the seat and crotch.

Exception is when you are built the opposite of OP. No butt and slender thigh. Fit the seat and let out the waist.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Thanks this is what I have been doing (taking pants in an inch)

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Fit the butt/seat and thigh, then take in the waist. It's a much smaller and cheaper operation.

Yup!

Regards.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree. During my cycling years I ran into this problem often. Taking the waist in is much easier, and also cheaper.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found myself in both situations...but perhaps it is because I am after a slim fit. Depending on the brand, I sometimes have to size down 1 to get the fit I want in the thighs/legs and I am by no means skinny. Thin, yes, but I do play soccer (football so as not to offend the 'cross the ponders) so I don't have twigs for legs.

Anyways, I usually let the seat out and waist about 1" and have not had a problem.

In other brands, I have to get the crotch and sometimes waist taken in to slim up the upper leg.

I think it all depends on the fit you are going for and your body type. Also I think it depends on the fabric used. Wool can go either way. Cotton can be trickier I think, especially if it's been washed/treated in any way. Corduroy I think would be best to be taken in rather than let out.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True. I'm in the same boat. Get them to fit your ass and legs and the waist is a simple operation.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat Jeff. When buying trousers whenever I find some that fit well in the seat and thigh, the waist has to come in 1" or so. I did once try the opposite with a pair of trousers that fit well on the waist and were good in the seat but tight across the thighs...didn't work very well as there was so little extra fabric to let out along the leg seams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads