• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it better to have a crappy watch or no watch?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lose many things, some of them expensive. Everything that isn't huge or fastened to the body with at least a four-in-hand is fair game. Let's not delve into the psychological as this is just the tip of the resume for this disintegrating, neuroses encased, ungrounded modern man.

It has come to my attention that it is ungentlemanly to rely on a cellphone for telling the time. I always suspected this was the case. I just cannot bear to spend good money or emotions on something that I no I will be fidgeting with in a bar some day, take off, and leave for a very fortunate waiter who would just have made his yearly salary in a night.

Should I continue with my reliance on the ungainly cellphone or buy a really cheap piece of manure that I don't mind losing? That's kind of what I do with hats after losing several that were made in Sicily, etc. For pocket squares, I only use former shirts.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots

It has come to my attention that it is ungentlemanly to rely on a cellphone for telling the time.

I would prefer to have a watch rather than look at my phone but I wouldnt consider anyone that looks a their cell phone for the time any less gentlemanly. Also I dont understand how people lose watches! They are strapped to your wrist unless you are home! If you lose it in your house it isnt lost it is misplaced! Just get a good watch.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Seiko Spirits that get posted every once in a while are very clean and nice.

I don't think it's a big issue to go out with no watch. I can also completely understand how you could lose a watch if you are fidgety. I've never done it, but I could easily see myself putzing around with my strap and leaving the whole bloody thing on the bar counter as I wandered off drunk.

Kev07

Reaction score
cheap but clean watch>crappy watch> no watch

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have lived wearing no watch for many years, even though I own a few that look respectable enough. If you are dressed relatively formally (i.e. a suit at least) it seems to me you should be wearing a decent watch, but as long as it doesn't call attention to itself, I see no reason why it must be expensive.

Maybe, based on your post, you should invest in a decent watch with a non-disconnectable bracelet (a bit harder to fidget undone as you must take it off over your hand) and a rubber band to snap your wrist every time you find yourself taking it off inadvertantly, until you lose that habit.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Narciso
Something like a $45 Timex.

This is what I usually wear. I only wear my 'good' watch a few times a year.

w.mj

Reaction score
I buy about three or four casio analog classics at ~$10 a piece and put them in my desk drawer. Very basic, white face, black hands, nothing fancy. I'm forever losing baseball hats and watches. Can't figure out why, but that's my solution.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, in this case no watch.

I am living without watch for 15 years now and it works for me. There are watches everywhere.

Solo1572

Reaction score
Why not buy a good, somwhat more expensive watch. I think you'll be more careful with expensive watches than with the cheap ones.

I used to wear Fubu watches, but I recently bought a nice one of Nooka, it gives me a lot of attention and I don't wear it daily...
wink.gif

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you lose a watch? I don't even take it off all day.
I think that a watch's design is much more important than its price or mechanical movement. I'm happy with my two well-styled, cheap quartz watches.
(Not that I wouldn't know what to spend my money on if I had enough to buy mechanical.)

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
How do you lose a watch? I don't even take it off all day.
I think that a watch's design is much more important than its price or mechanical movement. I'm happy with my two well-styled, cheap quartz watches.
(Not that I wouldn't know what to spend my money on if I had enough to buy mechanical.)

+1

Personally I think a classically styled quartz dress watch looks far better with a suit than an expensive mechanical sportswatch...

chewy

Reaction score
make sure your new watch is waterproof and then never take it off. Ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads