• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it best to give out a business card or calling card at networking associations?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I think I will join the American Marketing Association. There is a local networking event or a seminar about once a month, plus lots of webinars, articles, and lots of private job listings. I will join to learn more and also to network because I'm fishing for a new job. I've been to similar events before and everyone I meet asks for a card. I get cards from people too. Sometimes I have contacted people I've gotten a card from half a year later, or years later.

If I join this association, would it be best to give my business card that listed my title and company email address, or would it be best to give them my calling card that had my name, personal email, and cell number only?

The business card gives a glimmer of of the kind of work I do, and at what level, but the contact information only lasts as long as my employment. Sure, I could write my personal email on the back, but people make mistakes, so if someone contacts me about a job offer or just so much as a phone call, Im sure my company monitors my emails, so that is a danger. A calling card keeps me safe from that threat, and the contact information is valid forever. That said, it say's nothing about who I am professionally. Someone with a short memory might not be able to place me, or assume that I am jobless since I gave him a card that has no credentials.

Which card is best to give?

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
How about giving your company business card that state your title with your personal email handwritten and/or a linkedin connection follow up a couple days later?
I'm not in HR but I've been in contact with several headhunters and contacting me on my corporate adress isn't something they ever did - quite frankly I would perceive it as a beginner's error. The most daring would call me and their first sentence after presenting themselves would be to ask if I could speak freely so I wouldn't worry about your company finding out so much.
Just make sure your linkedin profile (or whichever business network you use) is linked with both your corporate and personal adress to be easily found - but only sends notifications to your personal email.

Good luck in your endeavours. Can't break this damn glass ceiling - but you can move away from it ;-)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads