• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it bad taste to wear college colors if you didn't attend the college?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
For most of my life I labored under the same delusion that the college colors of Oxford (and Cambridge) colleges had some high heraldic antiquity (in the case of those that were founded in the Middle Ages). However, according to the website of the Varsity Shop (www.varsityshop.co.uk), they are the ones who devised the respective college colors in the 1850s. In other words, they are scarcely older than those of many American state universities!
For Cambridge Ryder & Amies.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For most of my life I labored under the same delusion that the college colors of Oxford (and Cambridge) colleges had some high heraldic antiquity (in the case of those that were founded in the Middle Ages). However, according to the website of the Varsity Shop (www.varsityshop.co.uk), they are the ones who devised the respective college colors in the 1850s. In other words, they are scarcely older than those of many American state universities!
Well. You learn something new every day, I suppose. I guess it was the 19th century that had a different color asthetic than does the modern world!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I labored under that impression until about 5 minutes ago.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You can wear a blue and gold scarf all you want and I bet not a single Cal grad anywhere will even make the connection.

I would!
smile.gif

porschemad911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I personally find all tee-shirts with massive logo like CIA,DEAor FBI and university tee-shirts quite ugly to start with...

If you did attend that particular university or work in that particular organisation ,i can't see a problem , otherwise you open yourself to ridicule...

Why do you want to wear a Yale or Harvard tee-shirt if you didn't attend them...

I derfinitely didn't go to UCLA, but I wear my UCLA t shirt in honour of Reggie Miller. But yeah, if it wasn't for that, I can see no reason why I would.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear only one item associated with a school I didn't attend. I justify it because I was on the architectural design team of the school's main building. Each year I make a contribution ... and in return they send me a sweatshirt.

P I N G R Y

KeatonCollar

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wearing the colors, just dont act like you attended.
eh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I wear only one item associated with a school I didn't attend. I justify it because I was on the architectural design team of the school's main building. Each year I make a contribution ... and in return they send me a sweatshirt.

P I N G R Y

It is different ...You're linked to that specific university and you 're entitled to wear their colours especially if you do charity work for them.

Jarandas

Reaction score
it´s just sad.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My school's colors are the same a Harvard. I wonder how they pulled that off.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those who think people don't challenge you when you wear certain colours - I have been challenged on many occasions. Fortunately, I am solidly in the 'don't wear it if you're not entitled' camp. If I knew someone was wearing a tie or scarf for a university he didn't attend and fully aware of what he was doing, I'd think he was a prat. In fact, my friend does do this, and I tell him he's a prat.

jdldore

Reaction score
Do these organizations or institutions have some intellectual property right to the arrangment of their colors? I'm not an IP-er, but would be surprised if they did.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I had several people approach me and ask if I attended the school associated with the tie I wore when I lived in the UK, so I wouldn`t dare to do it if i hadn`t.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdldore
Do these organizations or institutions have some intellectual property right to the arrangment of their colors? I'm not an IP-er, but would be surprised if they did.

example:

http://www.logos.umich.edu/usemarks.html
http://www.utexas.edu/visualguidelines/vg_graphics.html

The University of Texas at Austin's name, wordmark, logos and seal are property of the State of Texas

although they have specific color guidelines (in RGH/PMS/CMYK), doesnt seem like they can be protected

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads