• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it bad if your tie, shoes, and belt all match?

Bexcellence

Reaction score
Possibly "trying too hard" ?

Lets say you have a brown belt, brown shoes, would it be bad to then go get a brown/tanish colored tie?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be bad.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me at work if they are wearing grey pants and brown shoes should they wear brown ties? then he started to say what about oxblood should I wear red/burgundy ties. I explained how stupid it would look but I think hes still gonna continue to wear it like that...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might not look terrible in all instances, but I don't really see why you would want to do it either. You should pick a tie which complements your shirt and coat; if that happens to be one that is brown then it might, by coincidence, also match your shoes/belt, but whether it does should not really affect which one you choose to wear.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having the color of your shoes in the pattern your tie or pattern of your jacket is great, but a solid might not work well. It is highly dependent on the specific colors and patterns, so a hard and fast rule is hard to apply here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly not a rule to follow rigidly.

But I find that I do sometimes like to bring a fit together by bringing the color of the shoes into my tie or pocket square.

One particular combo that I like a lot is relating light colored shoes to tie with a dark navy suit. I find it makes the light colored shoes look like they 'belong' with the dark suit. Otherwize the shoes can look a bit outta whack.

So with this shoe/sock/trou combination my tie is orange cashmere (as an example).

As you can imagine, without the orange on top to balance things out the shoes might look completely foreign to the suit.

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
It really really depends. I've worn a tan belt with a rust linen tie, and that was close but looked good. I think if you go all solids all the way you're asking to look a bit silly. looks very fussy.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And it's a perfect example of how well the combo can work.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually don't like seeing a tie that matches the shoes. It rarely looks good to me.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I did this today without really intending it:

Instead of this being matchy/matchy, I think it is more a function of the fact that brown shoes are the only appropriate choice if you wear a brown tie, and the belt then matches the shoes. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot imagine wearing black shoes with a brown tie. BTW, love the fit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would wear shoes in a different shade of brown from the tie or burgundy shoes. I agree that black shoes wouldn't be a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads