Is it appropriate to drink cocktails at a meal?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by godofcoffee, Jan 7, 2011.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

It's more appropriate to excuse yourself to the restroom where you can drink the alcohol. A bit more classy so people don't watch you as you drink the alcohol and you come across as sloppy. In that case, you don't have to worry about the etiquette of the drink you choose. If they see you order it, just say it's for a friend and they'll just think you are meeting him/her in the restroom.

straight sagacity.

2. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

It's more appropriate to excuse yourself to the restroom where you can drink the alcohol. A bit more classy so people don't watch you as you drink the alcohol and you come across as sloppy. In that case, you don't have to worry about the etiquette of the drink you choose. If they see you order it, just say it's for a friend and they'll just think you are meeting him/her in the restroom.

[​IMG] yes going to bathroom and and smelling of booze has more class. does your fake have a wide stance as well?

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

You want a Mai Tai with your steak? GTFO

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

People drink straight liquor with their food all the time.

They are idjuts, unless it's a trou normand!

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

People drank martinis all the time with meals back in the day so I don't see why not.

However, I suggest you develop a taste for champagne with food.

7. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

People drank martinis all the time with meals back in the day so I don't see why not.

However, I suggest you develop a taste for champagne with food.

Champagne accompanies shellfish wonderfully, generally. I'm very pro this champagne as wine movement - since, you know, it IS wine. [​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think it's quite vulgar to designate champagne a celebratory drink.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I think it's quite vulgar to designate champagne a celebratory drink.

what about root beer floats?

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I prefer champagne floats. I've recently been enjoying Aperol champagne fizzes as a casual everyday afternoon drink.

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

what kind of meals are you having, and with whom? if I went out to a business meal with a 22 year old, and he ordered a cocktail with his meal, I might find it strange. I have a person who I do business with, a 40 year old australian, who only drinks jack and coke, and orders that with every meal, its a quirk, but not one I find too curious or distastful.

I think that drinking a good beer with a meal is perfectly acceptable

that said, learn to drink wine.

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I prefer champagne floats. I've recently been enjoying Aperol champagne fizzes as a casual everyday afternoon drink.

i meant as a celebratory drink, you vulgarian animal.

13. ama

ama Senior member

When you win the Little League World Series.

14. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Learn to drink beer or wine. The social gains will be well worth the few uncomfortable attempts. Example: Social dinner, and the table orders a bottle of wine - do you really want to be the one guy drinking jack and coke? I found most alcohol to be pretty undrinkable the first time I tried it, but with a little experimentation I got over that. If you are fairly experimental .. lot's of smaller breweries that produce more "exotic" beers often sell "Variety Packs" in that they'll have 12 beer's and 3-4 different brews. I don't know any American examples but 3 Canadian examples are Okanagan Spring Brewery, Sleeman's and Rickard's. They'll often cast a wide net from a lighter pale ale to an amber ale or even a stout. There are a lot different kinds of beer and I find it pretty unlikely that there isn't a beer you can drink. Lot's of people say they "don't drink beer", but if your only experience is Bud Light I understand - that shit is nasty. Some real advice: I just started drinking wine (like 6 months ago), and found Malbec's (Red wine, usually from Argentina) to be very tasty and very easy to drink.

15. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

[​IMG] yes going to bathroom and and smelling of booze has more class. does your fake have a wide stance as well?
    I am not suggesting someone use the bathroom to drink booze because it might smell like toilet. Drinking alcohol in the rest room is more classy and you may find people doing the same who you can chat with.