• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it Acceptable to Wear Burberry Novacheck Ties?

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I searched the forums for some advice on burberry ties, but I couldn't find too much. I got a novacheck tie in purple/white/light blue from bloomingdales and I was wondering if it's acceptable to wear it. I've heard that novacheck is tacky, but the tie looks really nice. What do you guys think? It looks like this one, but with the purple as a base and light blue instead of the pink:

http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/0e/68/b551_1.JPG

Thanks.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not easy to pull off, maybe, but tacky? Hardly.

I mean- done wrong, you could look like Herb Tarlek:

herb_tarlek.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
If you like it wear it and don't ask what others think. Some will like it and some won't. As always in life...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with the others. It's all in the presentation. Like the LV Monogram, the Burberry check has been assimilated by chavs and produced in vast numbers by counterfeiters. So, if you aren't careful, the look can turn out being rather tacky.

BUT, done right, it can be fine. The key is to play it simple and get all the details in the rest of your outfit right.

I see a lot of women with LV purses, for example, and some look great and some look tacky. A girl came into my class the other day with a fake LV Monogram backpack with the super-fake hanging tags dangling. As well, she was wearing shorts that barely covered her ass, four inch high-heeled sandal/wedges, and a tshirt that didn't cover her belly button. And her hair was about two feet tall and colored bright orange. SO, even if her bag had been authentic, it would have looked trashy.

On the other hand, I have a colleague who is in her mid sixties, dresses simply and impeccably, and carries a monogram LV bag that she's had for more than twenty years. It looks classic and elegant on her.

So, again, if you like the tie, wear it proudly. Just be sure to keep the whole thing simple; don't wear it with shorts, a baseball cap, and Prada sport sneakers... (not that you would!)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could look nice in the summer, as a substitute for Madras.

Beta

Reaction score
I say ok unless its the yellow one...played out. the pink or the blue ones can be cool.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty tacky.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
I wore the navy blue one I have yesterday - I think it looks good in the fall/winter with the right suit

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tacky because of what the brand has become, but it's not inherently ugly or anything. I have Burberry outerwear I wear despite the novacheck.

Pengranger

Reaction score
I wear my red novacheck tie regularly. Goes great with a white shirt and blue suit. Most of the people I come across don't even know it's Burberry!

I shouldn't worry about what people think - I don't. Just wear it!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acceptable to whom?

Are you asking whether any of us, if we saw you wearing the tie, think, "this guys is a douche?"

I wouldn't. I have more important things to be concerned about. Like how good I look.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine with a suit and shirt that complement it. Many thanks to CG for the Herb Tarlek photo. I haven't thought about that guy in years!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads