• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it acceptable to use a suit jacket as a blazer if I no longer have the suit pants?

HPT704

Reaction score
Can the suit jacket be used as a casual blazer, or will something give it away?

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_105841122.jpg
    IMG_20190722_105841122.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20190722_105858247.jpg
    IMG_20190722_105858247.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 142

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In these circles it is referred to as an "odd" jacket and I will leave it to the better informed as to if and how to properly style one.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the suit jacket. Often easy to spot an orphan jacket—especially if it is a dark smooth worsted or has a pattern traditionally associated with suiting rather than jacketing.

Pics or at least a description might help.

caschta

Reaction score
I think a typical dark navy jacket with flap pockets and worsted wool will always look like an orphaned suit jacket. I like to have at least one casual style element - for me that's either patch pockets or a more "casual" fabric, meaning not as plain as a worsted navy wool.

This does not say that it wouldn't look good to most people, or that anybody besides SF members would even notice or bother at all.

HPT704

Reaction score
Depends on the suit jacket. Often easy to spot an orphan jacket—especially if it is a dark smooth worsted or has a pattern traditionally associated with suiting rather than jacketing.

Pics or at least a description might help.

I've put pics in the OP. It's just a regular navy jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_20190722_105841122.jpg
    IMG_20190722_105841122.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 131

HPT704

Reaction score
I think a typical dark navy jacket with flap pockets and worsted wool will always look like an orphaned suit jacket. I like to have at least one casual style element - for me that's either patch pockets or a more "casual" fabric, meaning not as plain as a worsted navy wool.

This does not say that it wouldn't look good to most people, or that anybody besides SF members would even notice or bother at all.

Thanks. Could I remove the pocket flaps to make them patch pockets (or at least tuck them inside)? Also what type of casual fabrics do you recommend for a blazer/sports jacket?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @WSW said above, easiest change would be to swap the buttons out. Brown horn, metal buttons (I am partial to pewter but the traditional brass buttons are fine too), or mother-of-pearl if you’re feeling adventurous.

You won’t have enough material to make patch pockets, plus the slits for the pockets can’t be closed. You can tuck the flaps in if you like.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @WSW said above, easiest change would be to swap the buttons out. Brown horn, metal buttons (I am partial to pewter but the traditional brass buttons are fine too), or mother-of-pearl if you’re feeling adventurous.

You won’t have enough material to make patch pockets, plus the slits for the pockets can’t be closed. You can tuck the flaps in if you like.

I agree a light/medium brown horn button would def make it slightly more casual and push it a bit further away from a typical suit jacket. FWIW, I bet less than 10% of the people you pass on the street would be able to identify it as an orphaned suit jacket especially with the buttons swapped out.

SS 376

Reaction score
I think the flap pockets and dark buttons would give it away. While most people won't think twice, you're the one that has to feel comfortable and confident in it. If you're going to feel 'off' when you're wearing it, might as well just buy something that you do like.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the main thing that would give it away is the fabric, but it's hard to judge the fabric in photos. It depends on the lightness, sheen, the finish, etc. If it looks like a very fine worsted, I would move on. Even dark horn buttons won't change that.

FerX

Reaction score
sorry for sneaking into the subject, but I would like to know if these jackets qualify to be used as blazers, the first is an E.Zegna torino easy greenish-bluea, the fabric is a bit shiny (wool and mohair) I recently changed the buttons for black ones made of horn, the jacket is half lined and the fabric is ligthweight.

The second jacket is a Zegna couture Navy Flannel Dual Vent with Subtle Stripe and dark brown buttons, thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 58
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 402
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 407

HPT704

Reaction score
I think the main thing that would give it away is the fabric, but it's hard to judge the fabric in photos. It depends on the lightness, sheen, the finish, etc. If it looks like a very fine worsted, I would move on. Even dark horn buttons won't change that.

It was originally an OTR suit from Men's Warehouse. It's pretty light and comfortable. It's wool but not to shiney.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was originally an OTR suit from Men's Warehouse. It's pretty light and comfortable. It's wool but not to shiney.

I assume it's the kind of fabric then that can't be used as a sport coat.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah. I recently ripped the ass out my charcoal slacks. I tried pairing the jacket with other things but it screams orphan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads