• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is is it spring yet in San Francisco?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I am flying into Oakland next week and attending a conference in downtown SF. Supposed to be around +/- 61 degrees. Are spring weights and colors appropriate? Is it warm enough? Can I pull off wearing my new Panama fedora? I am a perspirer, and inclined to go with the lightweight stuff with light colors to keep cool but would feel funny in my pink candystripe shirt and tan linen pants if everyone is wearing black turtlenecks and peacoats.
smile.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spring in San Francisco is not like that same season elsewhere.

Yesterday was chilly. Today is about the same temperature but it's warmer if the sun is on you. I'm wearing a 13 ounce worsted suit and it's not too much.

You'll see a lot more black than you will pink and tan any time of year and we can spot the tourists because they're the only ones wearing shorts.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been real hit or miss. For example on Tuesday, I enjoyed a late afternoon luncheon on the rooftop deck of my building. I was shielded from the breeze and as long as I was in the sun it was perfect. But then on Wednesday, the breezes were stronger and it was chilly in the shade. Today, again, very nice in the sun, but throw on my jacket when going out in case I'm caught in the shade for a while. I work in the Presidio, so lots of places where it stays shady all day.

For me, shirt and sport coat is just right this time of year. Maybe a light sweater. But then again, I don't get cold that easily, at least not in SF weather.

Also, in SF, what usually happens is that 4-8pm is the coldest, as the sun goes down, cool breezes (and often fog) come in from the ocean to cool off the East Bay. After around 8pm, the winds die off and the evenings are often pleasant. Downtown is especially windy in the early evening as the East-West streets allow the winds to whip directly across the city. If you wear the hat, watch out for the odd wind gust taking it into the Bay.
wink.gif

Enjoy the trip!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spring is here. But in SF that means blustery blue skies and chilly nights. It will probably be nice in the sun during the day and cold in the shade as Binge said. I always have a sweater handy. The wind will cut right through your lighter fabrics.

Zahir

Reaction score
All that being said, the weather has been pretty inconsistent this season, with heat one day and rain the next. I'd say medium weight clothes and don't forget to bring something a little heavier on the off chance we catch freak weather.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's gonna be like in seattle. UNPREDICTABLE.

there's an old jest about weathermen in seattle too (albeit a TRUE one), about how they're always wrong when it comes to prediction of weather - as long as they say "partially cloudy with a chance of rain" they'll be correct 50% of the time
laugh.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
it's gonna be like in seattle. UNPREDICTABLE.

there's an old jest about weathermen in seattle too (albeit a TRUE one), about how they're always wrong when it comes to prediction of weather - as long as they say "partially cloudy with a chance of rain" they'll be correct 50% of the time
laugh.gif

And this is the beauty of San Francisco. One can wear their light 3 quarter length coat on all but the warmest of summer days, and not raise an eyebrow.

In LA where I grew up, if I wore a jacket on a normal temp day, people would ask me "Where is your appointment?", or "What I was selling?" - because it was inconceivable that one would choose to wear a jacket.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's cold and windy all year round, our spring (no summer here) comes in August.

A pink candystripe shirt and tan linen pants will stand out only because most of the men in San Francisco think it's ok to dress like a nine year old, no matter how much money they have or what they do for a living.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics