• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is Hermes leather good quality (bags, briefcases, small leather goods)?

noobanker

Reaction score
I really like the sac a depeches briefcase, but wasn’t sure if the leather is high quality.
Is it vegetable tanned and top grain leather, etc? Hand stitched?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you go to Purseforum there are a ton of threads about Hermes' production and leather options. I'm linking just one of the threads on Hermes' leather, but you can pull up more by Googling "Hermes Purseforum." Although the forum is about purses, Hermes uses the same leathers for their briefcases.

There are also threads about the handwork that goes into certain pieces.

noobanker

Reaction score
If you go to Purseforum there are a ton of threads about Hermes' production and leather options. I'm linking just one of the threads on Hermes' leather, but you can pull up more by Googling "Hermes Purseforum." Although the forum is about purses, Hermes uses the same leathers for their briefcases.

There are also threads about the handwork that goes into certain pieces.

So most of Hermes' leather is not vegetable tanned?
Is that right?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So most of Hermes' leather is not vegetable tanned?
Is that right?
To be honest, I don't know. I have two of their Sac a Depeches briefcases -- one in box calf and the other in Togo leather. The box calf ages and patinas as described on Purseforum; the Togo leather keeps more of its original quality.

If you're interested in a specific leather, I recommend searching Purseforum. It's a very knowledgeable community. Or you can ask someone at an Hermes boutique.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the sac a depeches briefcase, but wasn’t sure if the leather is high quality.
Is it vegetable tanned and top grain leather, etc? Hand stitched?
say what you want about Hermes’s culture, snooty sales associate and cost, but their leather goods are top quality both in the selection of the raw materials and the manufacturing process.

The question you should be asking is not about the quality, but about the ROI relative to a different brand

noobanker

Reaction score
So far among the briefcases I've looked at, Hermes seems to be the best in terms of overall aesthetics.
Alfred Dunhill also makes pretty nice looking ones.
What I want to know is how Hermes ages; if it ages gracefully as veg-tanned leather is supposed to, I am okay to pay for it.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy it, let it age, and report back with pics!

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far among the briefcases I've looked at, Hermes seems to be the best in terms of overall aesthetics.
What I want to know is how Hermes ages; if it ages gracefully as veg-tanned leather is supposed to, I am okay to pay for it.
The bigger point is likely to be that Hermès is going to use A+ hides on their bags. They own quite a few of the reputable tanneries. Best thing would be to contact a SA and hope they know but if a specific leather is what you have in mind why not see if you can have something made up by a maker in exactly what you want? I’ve got a specific idea in mind and am going to use Rory Nichols to make it for that exact reason.
2A2FB9F7-B649-4F78-92CC-62DD4647F156.jpeg
2B901645-20B9-48DE-882D-A276ABD9E117.jpeg
F9ED7565-3D50-4B47-BFA7-42F077417B98.jpeg

last I spoke with him his waiting list was about 3 months and price is dependent on leather, features etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it ages OK. These are the handles on my two Sacs a Depeches. I mostly get "patina" around the areas that I touch, which is the handle (which I touch with my palm), the area right below the handle (which gets scratched by my fingernails when I grab the handle), and the area around the clasp (which I touch with my fingers when I open the briefcase).

This is my box calf leather. Lots of visible scratching just below the handle, and the handle itself has somewhat faded. Same scratches show up around the clasp.

IMG_0786.JPG

This the Togo leather. It shows much less patina. The scratches aren't as visible, but the handle has darkened a bit from use.

IMG_0790.JPG

Hermes offers a leather refurbishing service. They repair bags, scratches, etc. You'll never restore the leather to new condition because that's not possible, but with something like box leather, they can buff out the scratches. I personally don't mind the patina/ scratches. But if they bother you, you can get one of their grained leathers, which will show less age.

I think the biggest factor is how the bags hold up in terms of shape. I stuff my briefcases with tissue wrapping paper, like you would for a brand new bag, because the leather is prone to warping over time. It's not a super stiff leather, so you know, the bag doesn't look like it does in product photos after a bit of use.

As I understand it, women also stuff their Hermes bags with tissue paper if they're not going to use the bag for a while. I do it for briefcases that I might not use for more than a week or two.

adschus

Reaction score
I think it ages OK. These are the handles on my two Sacs a Depeches. I mostly get "patina" around the areas that I touch, which is the handle (which I touch with my palm), the area right below the handle (which gets scratched by my fingernails when I grab the handle), and the area around the clasp (which I touch with my fingers when I open the briefcase).

This is my box calf leather. Lots of visible scratching just below the handle, and the handle itself has somewhat faded. Same scratches show up around the clasp.

View attachment 1676590

This the Togo leather. It shows much less patina. The scratches aren't as visible, but the handle has darkened a bit from use.

View attachment 1676589

Hermes offers a leather refurbishing service. They repair bags, scratches, etc. You'll never restore the leather to new condition because that's not possible, but with something like box leather, they can buff out the scratches. I personally don't mind the patina/ scratches. But if they bother you, you can get one of their grained leathers, which will show less age.

I think the biggest factor is how the bags hold up in terms of shape. I stuff my briefcases with tissue wrapping paper, like you would for a brand new bag, because the leather is prone to warping over time. It's not a super stiff leather, so you know, the bag doesn't look like it does in product photos after a bit of use.

As I understand it, women also stuff their Hermes bags with tissue paper if they're not going to use the bag for a while. I do it for briefcases that I might not use for more than a week or two.
Looks like your body’s natural oils from touching the leather has done its job adding that patina. Very cool photos

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1676590

View attachment 1676589

Lovely. What size did you go for? And do you find it has enough space for what you need?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.