• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Helvetica becoming the new Comic Sans?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Helvetica becoming so overused that it has become a joke in itself? A victim of its own attractiveness? All things hip, all things minimalist, all things cosmetic, all things cool - they have all gravitated to some sibling in the Helvetica family. At what point does Helvetica become an overplayed, unusable font (for lack of differentiation)?

victoria01

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but i have to ask what is the " Helvetica "?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I prefer the Swiss 721 family.

AstraFrutiger-SwissHighways.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by victoria01
Sorry for my ignorance, but i have to ask what is the " Helvetica "?

An iconic font.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Is Helvetica becoming so overused that it has become a joke in itself? A victim of its own attractiveness? All things hip, all things minimalist, all things cosmetic, all things cool - they have all gravitated to some sibling in the Helvetica family. At what point does Helvetica become an overplayed, unusable font (for lack of differentiation)?

Well the problem with Comic Sans isn't that it's overused (although that certainly doesn't help,) it's that it's ugly.

Helvetica is actually amazingly versatile (again, unlike Comic Sans, which should only have one use, and doesn't even do that well.) Perhaps in its regular weight and default tracking, it may appear overused, but in different weights, different cases, and different contexts, it can speak with totally different voices (compare and contrast, for instance, the Target logo with the American Apparel logo.) It is generic enough for airport signage and yet edgy enough for rave flyers.

I think Helvetica has become so established in airport/subway/hospital/&c. signage that if you were to use anything other than Helvetica (or closely related grotesque font) at this point, the effect might be distracting, or give the impression of being inappropriately arty.

I will grant that I don't think I've ever seen medium-weight Helvetica used on a t-shirt without looking horrible and cheap.

But of course there are many unsung heroes in the catalogs of sans-serif fonts. One of my favorite overlooked typefaces is the Geneva font on Macintoshes. Unaltered it looks like a passable Helvetica-alike, but start increasing the horizontal scaling and it becomes something else entirely.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I prefer the Swiss 721 family.

AstraFrutiger-SwissHighways.jpg

Well I certainly like this particular font more than Helvetica condensed, but the regular width 721 is indistinguishable from Helvetica to my eye.

axe

Reaction score
I have no problem seeing Helvetica everywhere, because it's a nice font. Comic Sans is grotesque, in the other sense of the word. I do prefer Univers to Helvetica, though.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What? No love for Garamond? Sheesh....

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like Verdana.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am under the impression that Swiss 721 is a Corel-made clone of Helvetica.

Helvetica will never become the new Comic Sans. It's been in heavy use for over half a century and most people don't even know its name. It's completely ubiquitous yet no one ever says "you shouldn't have used that font on that sign."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, I do everything in Calibri, because I'm a traditionalist.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend the documentary Helvetica, it's actually interesting, certainly not Man on Wire, but good nonetheless. Plus, it can be streamed on Netflix.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Oh, I do everything in Calibri, because I'm a traditionalist.

My friend is orgasmic over Calibri, I have to bite my lip everytime he gushes how good Calibri is. *******.

jo-fu

Reaction score
The big thing people forget is that you need the RIGHT FONT for the RIGHT TIME.

Helvetica is fantastic for signs, powerpoint, etc. Its highly legible, especially if there isn't too much of it.
Calibri and the often overlooked Trebuchet are equally good for all the same reasons.

Comic sans is, in fact, fantastic, if you're trying to give a voice to a talking dog for a kids operating system (which is was actually designed for), or otherwise, comics.

Serif fonts in printed documents are still nicer looking.

All that said, Helvetica is really too clean and simple to ever really get played out. Its the parsons table of font.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads