• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 'happy holidays' really so terrible? 2010 edition

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Hanukkah starts tonight, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that Christmas is not the only significant holiday being celebrated this month. Wishing people a happy holidays is a greeting of inclusion not of exclusion. No one wants to diminish Christmas, but in today's multicultural society, we should strive to be respectful of other peoples thoughts and beliefs.

My poll is simply: Do you find being wished a happy holidays, or attending a holiday party to really be so offensive vs. Christmas Party/Merry Christmas.

Discuss

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Since Hanukkah starts tonight, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that Christmas is not the only significant holiday being celebrated this month. Wishing people a happy holidays is a greeting of inclusion not of exclusion. No one wants to diminish Christmas, but in today's multicultural society, we should strive to be respectful of other peoples thoughts and beliefs.

My poll is simply: Do you find being wished a happy holidays, or attending a holiday party to really be so offensive vs. Christmas Party/Merry Christmas.

Discuss

The only people that are offended either way are morons.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares, really? That said, Hanukkah has evolved into a 'major holiday' simply because it gives Jewish kids something to celebrate while the Christians have their trees, gifts... (which is a fine reason btw). Otherwise, Hanukkah would be no more significant than many other Jewish holidays that aren't as widely celebrated because of the time of year they fall into so let's not kid ourselves about the significance of Hanukkah or its status as a major holiday.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Really, I'd imagine the Jewish population in the US is small enough that this shouldn't be much of an issue.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, it offends me.

It used to be called "Christmas Break" from school. The Macy's "Thanksgiving" parade used to be called the Macy's "Christmas" parade.

The change to "Happy Holidays" is to me a sign of weakness. Cowtowing to a very small number of whiny people who are insignificant and have done nothing with their lives, other than to try to be self-important by taking on the system ... for the sake of making themselves important.. by saying they are offended by the term... "separation of church and state", etc.. (the phrase does not exist in the constitution, btw).

It is a devaluation of a significant source of good in the country. A small number of people can *****, but The Church is a major source of good. I'd rather donate money to Big Church than the US government, 'cause I know it'll will be better spent.

OR you could see it as a BIG attack on what founded this country. If power comes from God, then it does not come from the State. So any acknowledgement of God is bad. Hence, "you can't say 'Christmas'".

It's an attack on what started this country. "Endowed by their creator..." etc.

"Happy Holidays" is not inclusive. "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hannukah" (never could spell it) are inclusive.

70 to 80 percent of US citizens self-identify as Christian. So why not say "merry Christmas"?

Shalom.

* (edit) It isn't the Jewish population causing "Happy Holidays" to be said. It's lame-assed "political correct" types.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't we just say Merry Christmas when it's Christmas time, and Happy Hannukah for friends/people we know who celebrate/care about it? If toes are stepped on, then they'll correct us.

******* PC types.

bare bodkin

Reaction score
What Fred said. Also, this is a non-issue. If I want to say Merry Christmas, who's gonna stop me?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only get offended when people wish me a a Happy Halloween instead of a Happy Samhain.

Very disrespectful to me and my fellow Satanists.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's not. People who are offended by it, like the three posters above Magician, are morons. Conversely, those offended by someone saying Merry Christmas to them are also morons.

That being said, I don't really care either way. Say what you want. I've always viewed Happy Holidays to acknowledge the holiday season of Thanksgiving through New Years. Merry Christmas seems more date specific, as in it would seem odd to me to say it to someone when it's not actually Christmas. But I've also been nonreligious my entire life so that's just my perspective.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't we just say "Hey, **** you and your beliefs!"

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attack on what started this country?
lol8[1].gif
Please... I'm not offended by any of it. Say whatever you like. Being offending by people who say Happy Holidays is ridiculous and rather self-important.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
No, it's not. People who are offended by it, like the three posters above Magician, are morons. Conversely, those offended by someone saying Merry Christmas to them are also morons.

That being said, I don't really care either way. Say what you want. I've always viewed Happy Holidays to acknowledge the holiday season of Thanksgiving through New Years. Merry Christmas seems more date specific, as in it would seem odd to me to say it to someone when it's not actually Christmas. But I've also been nonreligious my entire life so that's just my perspective.

Pretty much

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Happy Holidays" is part of the culture war, and carries significance because of that, regardless of whether you realise it or wish to acknowledge it as such. The only reason this time of year is a holiday to begin with is because of Christmas. (Distant pagan roots not withstanding.)

I've often wondered how the phrase managed to take off in America, a country that continues to hang on to it's Christian heritage, while the public in Britain, a much less religious society, refuse to accept it or any of the other ghastly neologisms, despite the best attempts by the usual suspects to introduce them.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Jew, I have to say this level of PC is absurd and offensive. Why does everything need to be so damn vanilla? When you try pleasing everyone you end up pleasing no one. Offer Christmas greetings to Christians and wish me a happy Chanukah! Finally, Jews who prevent Christians from expressing their Christianity incites anti-Semitism. Let them celebrate their holidays, dammit! Would you like it if Palestinians complained about Israelis celebrating Chanukah?? Live and let live!
\t
On that note, happy Chanukah!! I'll be celebrating here in DC, and I hope all of you find great ways to celebrate wherever you are!

menora3.gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
"Happy Holidays" is part of the culture war, and carries significance because of that, regardless of whether you realise it or wish to acknowledge it as such. The only reason this time of year is a holiday to begin with is because of Christmas. (Distant pagan roots not withstanding.)

I've often wondered how the phrase managed to take off in America, a country that continues to hang on to it's Christian heritage, while the public in Britain, a much less religious society, refuse to accept it or any of the other ghastly neologisms, despite the best attempts by the usual suspects to introduce them.

Ignoring the other reason why its a holiday, celebrating the birth of a guy who was born in spring is the ONLY reason the start of winter is a holiday!
plain.gif

(I don't care. Say whatever you want. I usually say Christmas since I celebrate it non-religiously, which is more than possible.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads