• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 'happy holidays' really so terrible? 2010 edition

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You sounded like Lewis Black when you said that...

angry.gif
Lewis Black sucks.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You'd think if there would be one time when people could put differences aside and wish each other well, it would be when we come together to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, whose birth fulfilled the words of the Old Testament. I don't know why people get so offended.

Merry Christmas, gdl!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with fred, intent, and bodkin to a point. I think that the "Happy Holidays" business began as the public started to turn more and more PC circa the 1960s (especially with the introduction of Kwanza as a legitimate holiday just to appease everyone). I don't find it offensive to wish "Happy Holidays" to someone. But at the same time when people get bent out of shape because I wish a "Merry Christmas" then something is definitely wrong.

I do think it's a general symptom of turning away from Christianity in general as the primary mode of religious thought in the US. I take no issue with Jews celebrating Hanukkah, Muslims Ramadan, etc., but people are selling themselves short if they don't accept that Christmas is what made it the "Holidays" in the first place.

I found the comment interesting about Hanukkah being just another Jewish Festival if not for Christmas' proximity. I would agree (with my admittedly limited knowledge of Jewish culture) thinking that Pesach would be the equivalent of Christmas for the Jewish population. I mean, why not Yom Kippur, or Sukkot - both of which I'd consider more spiritually meaningful? I think Hanukkah slotted in nicely with the Western celebration of Christmas, especially in the increasingly commercial setting of the United States post-WWII.

Just food for thought.

And while not wanting to be PC for PC's sake, hopefully haven't offended anyone with my thoughts.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For secular Jews, yes, for the most part. But saying that many secular Jews celebrate Hannukah mainly because it's the "holiday season" in now way implies that Hannukah isn't a massive holiday on its own merits. Hannukah is one of the most important and festive of Jewish festivals. The fact that for many secular Jews it needs validation by the broader culture is a tragedy of the times more than a statement about Hannukah's significance.... Amongst the observant, Hannukah has always been a great, festive and important holiday.

Originally Posted by El Argentino
I agree with fred, intent, and bodkin to a point. I think that the "Happy Holidays" business began as the public started to turn more and more PC circa the 1960s (especially with the introduction of Kwanza as a legitimate holiday just to appease everyone). I don't find it offensive to wish "Happy Holidays" to someone. But at the same time when people get bent out of shape because I wish a "Merry Christmas" then something is definitely wrong.

I do think it's a general symptom of turning away from Christianity in general as the primary mode of religious thought in the US. I take no issue with Jews celebrating Hanukkah, Muslims Ramadan, etc., but people are selling themselves short if they don't accept that Christmas is what made it the "Holidays" in the first place.

I found the comment interesting about Hanukkah being just another Jewish Festival if not for Christmas' proximity. I would agree (with my admittedly limited knowledge of Jewish culture) thinking that Pesach would be the equivalent of Christmas for the Jewish population. I mean, why not Yom Kippur, or Sukkot - both of which I'd consider more spiritually meaningful? I think Hanukkah slotted in nicely with the Western celebration of Christmas, especially in the increasingly commercial setting of the United States post-WWII.

Just food for thought.

And while not wanting to be PC for PC's sake, hopefully haven't offended anyone with my thoughts.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw the holidays. I never did anything for them anyway as my family is completely atheist. The only time religious people really tick me off is when they start preaching to me, otherwise no problem.

Although, my father does hang up a big sign that says "The season's the reason."

My disgruntledness may stem from the lack of ever receiving presents though.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Lol, this threak reminds me of one of my favourite Christmas stories..

4 years ago I went to the bank with my brother around Christmas, and he was depositing a bunch of change he had rolled. My brother has a little curly afro, and that combined with the fact that he had just brought in ~$300 in change caused the teller to assume we were jewish and she said "happy Hanukkah" as we were leaving. Kinda offensive that based on curly hair and his frugality she assumed he was jewish, but mostly it was hilarious.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand... whats wrong with the only day of the year my Jewish brothers appreciate and celebrate our Chinese food?

Ben85

Reaction score
I grew up with Merry Christmas and can embarrassingly admit I had no idea what Hanukkah was until I was maybe 12 or 13. I live in a smaller town and no one ever mentioned it. I can understand how Merry Christmas might not be appropriate now with all the other religious bullshit. But if someone I didn't know was to say Happy Hanukkah to me, I'd just smile and say thanks.

Now that I have grown up (barely) Christmas is just a hassle and waste of money to try and impress people. I am a terrible shopper and never know what to get anyone, I usually get things I don't want too. The only one who buys me things I like or can use is my Mom, but everyone's Mom knows what to get them right?

But to answer the question "is happy holidays really so terrible?" I'm gonna have to roll with no.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my point was simply, that some people get so bent out of shape, not at being wished a merry christmas (which as a jew, I kind of do, althought I will get into that later), but rather at being wished a happy holidays, which they feel is an affront to christmas. I can see both sides of the argument, but my premise was that why NOT just say happy holidays, it works universally and you dont run the risk of offending anyone.

Now, as to me personally. Raised in a jewish house by two jewish parents in a not jewish section of town. Have serious jewish identity issues, leaning heavily twords claiming zero religion. Decided a couple of years ago (after living in a part of the south with no jews) to simply give up and embrace the season for what it is, an anciliary poll migh bear out that Christmas has probably lost its religious significance to most people, and so I simply celebrate christmas as a calendar holiday, no more or less significant to me than thanksgiving. Granted you wont catch me singing the jesus carols or any of that nonesense, and althought I tried to do the tree this year with the fiance, I chickened out. I will have a stocking (blue and with a star of david on it) and wont give my family gifts untill xmas day. It was just simply easier to embrace some aspects of it to make this season more palatable instead of running around offended by every mention of the word Christmas. I still try to correct people into saying happy holidays, and holiday party, but that has more to do with my idealist nature of accepting everyone and offending no one. Except people from Ohio, Redheads and Terrorists.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Raised in a jewish house by two jewish parents in a not jewish section of town. Have serious jewish identity issues, leaning heavily twords claiming zero religion. Decided a couple of years ago (after living in a part of the south with no jews) to simply give up and embrace the season for what it is.

Wimp.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
my point was simply, that some people get so bent out of shape, not at being wished a merry christmas (which as a jew, I kind of do, althought I will get into that later), but rather at being wished a happy holidays, which they feel is an affront to christmas. I can see both sides of the argument, but my premise was that why NOT just say happy holidays, it works universally and you dont run the risk of offending anyone.

Now, as to me personally. Raised in a jewish house by two jewish parents in a not jewish section of town. Have serious jewish identity issues, leaning heavily twords claiming zero religion. Decided a couple of years ago (after living in a part of the south with no jews) to simply give up and embrace the season for what it is, an anciliary poll migh bear out that Christmas has probably lost its religious significance to most people, and so I simply celebrate christmas as a calendar holiday, no more or less significant to me than thanksgiving. Granted you wont catch me singing the jesus carols or any of that nonesense, and althought I tried to do the tree this year with the fiance, I chickened out. I will have a stocking (blue and with a star of david on it) and wont give my family gifts untill xmas day. It was just simply easier to embrace some aspects of it to make this season more palatable instead of running around offended by every mention of the word Christmas. I still try to correct people into saying happy holidays, and holiday party, but that has more to do with my idealist nature of accepting everyone and offending no one. Except people from Ohio, Redheads and Terrorists.

the same reason people flip out over the the way certain muslim women dress in the west... xmas being a christian holiday and the us being very christian almsot to the point of saying that us culture is christian, it shows a lack or unwillinglynes to adapt to the culture in which you live.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
Wimp.

that quote is a tad out of context. I am much happier now, if that makes me a wimp......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics