• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is 'happy holidays' really so terrible? 2010 edition

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
Since Hanukkah starts tonight, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that Christmas is not the only significant holiday being celebrated this month. Wishing people a happy holidays is a greeting of inclusion not of exclusion. No one wants to diminish Christmas, but in today's multicultural society, we should strive to be respectful of other peoples thoughts and beliefs.

My poll is simply: Do you find being wished a happy holidays, or attending a holiday party to really be so offensive vs. Christmas Party/Merry Christmas.


Discuss
 

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3,145
Reaction score
194
Originally Posted by jgold47
Since Hanukkah starts tonight, I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that Christmas is not the only significant holiday being celebrated this month. Wishing people a happy holidays is a greeting of inclusion not of exclusion. No one wants to diminish Christmas, but in today's multicultural society, we should strive to be respectful of other peoples thoughts and beliefs.

My poll is simply: Do you find being wished a happy holidays, or attending a holiday party to really be so offensive vs. Christmas Party/Merry Christmas.


Discuss


The only people that are offended either way are morons.
 

EL72

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
6,860
Reaction score
4
Who cares, really? That said, Hanukkah has evolved into a 'major holiday' simply because it gives Jewish kids something to celebrate while the Christians have their trees, gifts... (which is a fine reason btw). Otherwise, Hanukkah would be no more significant than many other Jewish holidays that aren't as widely celebrated because of the time of year they fall into so let's not kid ourselves about the significance of Hanukkah or its status as a major holiday.
 

Quatsch

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
630
Reaction score
14
Really, I'd imagine the Jewish population in the US is small enough that this shouldn't be much of an issue.
 

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
1,138
Reaction score
2
Yup, it offends me.

It used to be called "Christmas Break" from school. The Macy's "Thanksgiving" parade used to be called the Macy's "Christmas" parade.

The change to "Happy Holidays" is to me a sign of weakness. Cowtowing to a very small number of whiny people who are insignificant and have done nothing with their lives, other than to try to be self-important by taking on the system ... for the sake of making themselves important.. by saying they are offended by the term... "separation of church and state", etc.. (the phrase does not exist in the constitution, btw).

It is a devaluation of a significant source of good in the country. A small number of people can bitch, but The Church is a major source of good. I'd rather donate money to Big Church than the US government, 'cause I know it'll will be better spent.

OR you could see it as a BIG attack on what founded this country. If power comes from God, then it does not come from the State. So any acknowledgement of God is bad. Hence, "you can't say 'Christmas'".

It's an attack on what started this country. "Endowed by their creator..." etc.

"Happy Holidays" is not inclusive. "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hannukah" (never could spell it) are inclusive.

70 to 80 percent of US citizens self-identify as Christian. So why not say "merry Christmas"?

Shalom.

* (edit) It isn't the Jewish population causing "Happy Holidays" to be said. It's lame-assed "political correct" types.
 

intent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
4,393
Reaction score
5
Why can't we just say Merry Christmas when it's Christmas time, and Happy Hannukah for friends/people we know who celebrate/care about it? If toes are stepped on, then they'll correct us.

Fucking PC types.
 

bare bodkin

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
What Fred said. Also, this is a non-issue. If I want to say Merry Christmas, who's gonna stop me?
 

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
303
I only get offended when people wish me a a Happy Halloween instead of a Happy Samhain.

Very disrespectful to me and my fellow Satanists.
 

Nil

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
9,613
Reaction score
4,086
No, it's not. People who are offended by it, like the three posters above Magician, are morons. Conversely, those offended by someone saying Merry Christmas to them are also morons.

That being said, I don't really care either way. Say what you want. I've always viewed Happy Holidays to acknowledge the holiday season of Thanksgiving through New Years. Merry Christmas seems more date specific, as in it would seem odd to me to say it to someone when it's not actually Christmas. But I've also been nonreligious my entire life so that's just my perspective.
 

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
153
Why can't we just say "Hey, fuck you and your beliefs!"
 

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
1,974
Reaction score
56
Attack on what started this country?
Please... I'm not offended by any of it. Say whatever you like. Being offending by people who say Happy Holidays is ridiculous and rather self-important.
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by Nil
No, it's not. People who are offended by it, like the three posters above Magician, are morons. Conversely, those offended by someone saying Merry Christmas to them are also morons.

That being said, I don't really care either way. Say what you want. I've always viewed Happy Holidays to acknowledge the holiday season of Thanksgiving through New Years. Merry Christmas seems more date specific, as in it would seem odd to me to say it to someone when it's not actually Christmas. But I've also been nonreligious my entire life so that's just my perspective.


Pretty much
 

winston

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
1,559
Reaction score
77
"Happy Holidays" is part of the culture war, and carries significance because of that, regardless of whether you realise it or wish to acknowledge it as such. The only reason this time of year is a holiday to begin with is because of Christmas. (Distant pagan roots not withstanding.)

I've often wondered how the phrase managed to take off in America, a country that continues to hang on to it's Christian heritage, while the public in Britain, a much less religious society, refuse to accept it or any of the other ghastly neologisms, despite the best attempts by the usual suspects to introduce them.
 

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
1,100
Reaction score
18
As a Jew, I have to say this level of PC is absurd and offensive. Why does everything need to be so damn vanilla? When you try pleasing everyone you end up pleasing no one. Offer Christmas greetings to Christians and wish me a happy Chanukah! Finally, Jews who prevent Christians from expressing their Christianity incites anti-Semitism. Let them celebrate their holidays, dammit! Would you like it if Palestinians complained about Israelis celebrating Chanukah?? Live and let live!
\t
On that note, happy Chanukah!! I'll be celebrating here in DC, and I hope all of you find great ways to celebrate wherever you are!

 

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
2,519
Reaction score
168
Originally Posted by winston
"Happy Holidays" is part of the culture war, and carries significance because of that, regardless of whether you realise it or wish to acknowledge it as such. The only reason this time of year is a holiday to begin with is because of Christmas. (Distant pagan roots not withstanding.)

I've often wondered how the phrase managed to take off in America, a country that continues to hang on to it's Christian heritage, while the public in Britain, a much less religious society, refuse to accept it or any of the other ghastly neologisms, despite the best attempts by the usual suspects to introduce them.


Ignoring the other reason why its a holiday, celebrating the birth of a guy who was born in spring is the ONLY reason the start of winter is a holiday!



(I don't care. Say whatever you want. I usually say Christmas since I celebrate it non-religiously, which is more than possible.)
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,127
Messages
9,192,612
Members
193,082
Latest member
amandobble

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top